Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: Buffalo & re: Rio Puerco--Rio Grande area...

  • Dave Goudsward
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010
      Winkler also did some preliminary work up at Mystery Hill in North
      Salem, NH that he felt changed the sequence of construction at the the
      site. He believed that the North-South axis was determined by bisecting
      the the angle formed by the rising and setting of Sirius, which meant
      the eight cardinal alignments could be determined immediately with minor
      adjustments for terrain. He also felt there was a lot of alignment based
      on grazing circumpolar stars.

      The biggest weakness to his his theory was the length of habitation
      required for a 3-phase construction of the calendar, which required
      inhabitants from 2000 BC to 1500 AD. Before he died in 2001, Winkler was
      revising his calculations to allow a 2200 BC starting date that did not
      required such an extended length of time. The last time I talked to him
      in 2000, he seemed to think the site may have been a Bronze Age
      Celtiberian Lammas Hill.

      --

      Dave Goudsward
      Lake Worth, FL

    • ZHstar@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010
        Dear Dave-  Thank YOU.  I knew he was working on Mystery Hill.  Before he died he was working on a paper on the star or comet at the time of Jesus.  He had submitted a paper for peer review to an astronomy journal.
        He was a delightful person and his death was so unexpected.
        Zena

        ZHstar@... wrote:

        > Susan-
        > Dr. Louis Winkler an archaeoastronomer from Penn State College ( died
        > about 4 years ago) did the analysis of the astronomical petroglyph and
        > the date of the solar eclipse was 107 BCE. We co- authored an article
        > on this - I did the voyages and his section showed his methodology.
        > the article was in ESOP several years ago.
        > I never got to find the inscription on Mt. Taylor. I was sent there
        > by Prof. Frank Hibben of the U. of Alb. he even gave me the name of
        > the landowner but when I met the landowner she was not cooperative at
        > all and i had even written to her before asking for her help. Dr.
        > Hibben was a very well known scholar from his work on Pottery Mound
        > outside of ALB. He died a few years ago. The landowner does not want
        > anyone investigating up there and they own lots of land on Mt.
        > Taylor. I had a friend from Texas try- I figured maybe they would
        > trust a Texan- he found out a little bit but never got to see the
        > inscription. Dr. Hibben may have taken photos of the inscription but
        > who knows what happened to anything. It could have been thrown out.
        > David Deal was also aware of this inscription but he never got to see
        > it. I heard there are other paleo-Hebrew inscriptions on some of the
        > native American reservations but they won't allow anyone to see it.
        > That area was an ancient mining center.
        > Zena

      • Dave Goudsward
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010
          Winkler and Bob Stone published a preliminary paper on the Mystery Hill
          work that as far as I know, was only sold at Mystery Hill - 16 pages,
          half of which was charts and maps. I don't know if/where any archived
          copies exist.

          In fact, I'm not sure if I even have a copy.

          --

        • ZHstar@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2010
            Dave-    It will be  hard  to track it  down.  Lou was fascinated with Mystery Hill.   I was there several times and always found something new.