Re: Buffalo & re: Rio Puerco--Rio Grande area paleo-Hebrew inscriptions

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
      Very interesting reply, Zena. I is my hope member Cal Traylor
      (Trayloroo) of Las Cruces, NM is still following posts and might be able
      to add information....an area not too far from his home.

      I've been traveling since Sunday; Jim Scherz was up in my part of the
      state only a few few hours last week. It would be a pity if he cannot
      find a way to access a computer to read your excellent letter. Maybe
      others are interested in this subject and can add input. Zena, do you
      know the dating of the solar eclipse, the astononomical petroglyph and
      inscriptions on Mr. Taylor (Tourquioise Mt.)?

      Susan

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, ZHstar@... wrote:

      > re: Jim Scherz' comment I made about the triangle.
      >
      > JIm:- I thought it looked like the triangle I saw on the side of
      Hidden
      > Mt. where the Decalogue Stone is located. The Decalogue stone has been
      > translated as a form of paleo-Hebrew. Cyrus Gordon thought it was the
      > ancient Samaritan script. A great deal of work has been done on
      translating the
      > Decalogue Stone, boobks articles,etc. It was shown briefly on the
      History
      > Channel documentary last week "Who Really Discovered America." Scott
      > Wolter was there examining the stone. Few people know that on the top
      of Hidden
      > Mt. there is an astronomical petroglyph with a solar eclipse marked on
      the
      > stone between two constellations that was analyzed by Dr. Lou Winkler
      an
      > archaeastronomer. he died a few years ago. he was able to date the
      time of
      > the solar eclipse. We co-authored an article on this. There are more
      > paleo-Hebrew inscriptions on the summit and there are has rock
      constructions
      > around the perimeter with a clear view of the Rio Puerco. The now dry
      > Rio Puerco flows about 100 feet from Hidden Mt. into the Rio Grande,
      Need i
      > say more? this area may well have been an ancient mining center. New
      > Mexico and the area around the Rio Grande is known for semi precious
      stones.
      > There is a paleo- Hebrew inscription somewhere on Mt. Taylor which was
      told
      > to me by Prof. Frank Hibben, Univ. of ALB when he was alive. Mt.
      Taylor
      > is known as the Turquoise Mt. there may have been ancient mining of
      > turquoise up there .I tried to find that inscription on Mt. Taylor but
      did not
      > get cooperation from the land owners who own part of the mountain. It
      is
      > not Cherokee script.
      > REgards, Zena
      >

      > In a message dated 6/29/2010 11:17:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > beldingenglish@... writes:
      >

      > Excellent post, Ted; thank you for taking time to put it together and
      > submit to the groups. I ran a print to take with me next trip down the
      > Mississippi south of here.
      > Three hours were spent Saturday night at Perkins reading posts with
      one of
      > our members. Jim Scherz commented on the Buffalo0Bison post and a
      number
      > of letters, files, photos that many here have sent. Even the manager
      of
      > the restaurant started looking over our shoulders at my screen.
      >
      > Jim ordered a couple of copies of last week's History Channel
      documentary
      > (Who Really Discovered America) including a complimentary copy for me
      > become another addition to our Ancient Waterways loaner box. It won't
      be
      > delivered here for a few weeks, then I am wondering if perhaps Pam,
      Simon
      > Brighton, Martin Carriere and other members living outside the United
      States
      > who cannot access cable TV/History Channel programs might want to
      borrow the
      > DVD.
      >
      > We also spent a hour reading the posts/files on the epigraphic
      material
      > Chris P. did last January on the Copper Country petroglyhs. Scherz was
      > intrigued at the comment Zena made about the triangles; a Search on
      the
      > topography around Hidden Mt, NM and the Decologue Stone near Los Lunas
      > (Cherokee-Hebrew inscription?De a question rose, Zena, as to whether
      you have done
      > any translating at that site.
      >
      > It is a real pleasure for me when I get visitors to my home or meet
      with
      > folks at conferences and informal meetings to talk about some of the
      > materials this membership submits. Hopefully opportunities will
      increase for all
      > of you in your localities the more the public seeks alternative
      answers,
      > and as these types of investigations continue to become mainstream.
      The
      > current media presentations, books, and even serious work members of
      many
      > Internet groups are putting into Posts and Files are also undoubtedly
      changing
      > minds, rewriting history, and hopefully ways we live and engage with
      each
      > other globally as old erroneous historical assumptions are exposed and
      > investigators wade deeper into the once-obscure 'pre-history'w
      >
      > Scott Wolter sent a reply last night that 'they' are working on a
      third
      > History Channel film that he thinks will be the best one yet. Which
      sounds
      > to me as though the documentary is still en process.
      >
      > Susan
      >
      > --- In ancient_waterways_--- In ancient_w--- In
      > ancient_waterwaytedsojka@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Group Discussion on Buffalo in Ohio.
      > >
      > > Here is a note about ancient Ice Age animals from this area.
      > >
      > > A set of Moose Horns of the mega-fauna type were found in the mud on
      > > and island eroding in the Mississippi River by a fisherman. These
      > > animals were around at the time of giant Bison as well as the
      > > Mammoths. I have heard lectures stating that the Eastern Herd of
      > > Bison was less than the estimated 1.3 Billion of the Western herd.
      It
      > > was somewhere under the 1 Billion amount, but still that was a lot
      of
      > > Bison. I also remember reading accounts of the last small group of
      > > Eastern Bison being shot in Pennsylvania by farmers angry with
      fencing
      > > being broken up by the remaining animals, some time early in the
      > > 1800's. They surrounded the small herd and s hot at it wholesale.
      One
      > > hopes they at least used the meat.
      > >
      > > My personal belief is that the mound groups were not constructed for
      > > such utilitarian uses as confinement of animals as this group has
      been
      > > discussing.
      > >
      > > Below is an example of an earthwork recently found by the lidar
      image
      > > process that shows a Peregrine Falcon effigy mound that is near
      > > Cassville WI. It measures 270 wingtip to tip. There are many others
      > > here at Effigy Mounds National Monument in the 60 to 100 foot range
      in
      > > width. along with bears and other animals just a few miles away.
      They
> [...]
      pond
      > > dams or earthworks. This was ritual work and some say in the
      > > archeological community, that a population increase made a surplus
      of
      > > people and Summer food from the river available to create these
      > > effigies.
      > >
      > > We don't know the whole story and it is very hard to put our mind
      sets
      > > at the task of interpreting those who lived here a thousand or more
      > > years ago. I was an art educator and just appreciate the beauty and
      > > magnitude of the projects. In my town we bulldozed some of the
      > > mounds back in the 1950's for flood control levees, as we built
      > > without the knowledge of how high the water can get. The mounds were
      > > built above the flood plain. I was told they could be seen by
      > > travelers on the ancient canoe trails that showed that there was
      fish,
      > > game, and good water, in the area for the traveller. The Ho-Chunk
      > > Archeologist said the mounds in some cases were like the road signs
      > > along the Interstate Highway, informing the traveller of food, fuel,
      > > and lodging. Think on that awhile and it makes sense.
      > >
      > > A few years ago the town put in a homage to the mound builders to
      > > honor what was removed, and eagle scouts carried the earth to make
      the
      > > mound permanent. It was covered in Prairie Grasses, and I had the
      > > honor a nd privilege to help them design an image similar to the one
      > > below. A smoke ceremony was done to bless the valley by a native
      > > descendant of those who bear the town and counties name. He said
      > > wisely,"that anything that honors those who have walked here before
      us
      > > is a good thing"
      > >
      > > Ted Sojka
      > > Native Earthworks Preservation / Iowa
      > >

      > > PS Enjoy your discussion and think big,
      > >
      > > The discussion below might be of interest to some of you, or not,
      and
      > > some might want to add to the discussion in this group who have
      > > knowledge about this area. I know the tribes in Iowa had access to
      > > Bison Scapulas that were used to make hoes for tilling soil. They
      > > traded these to the natives East of them in Wisconsin for awhile, as
      > > the bison had disappeared in that area. I have been to Bison shaped
      > > mounds in the middle of Wisconsin, and know they mu st have been
      there
      > > at some time. Scientific investigation can now tell us where old
      > > bison bones originated, as well as human bones, by what is contained
      > > in them. A marvelous use of technology to peer back into the world
      of
      > > those who were here before us.
      > >

      > > > I don't think anyone knows for sure when the first buffalo came
      into
      > > > Ky or the last one left. For sure, they were in my area at one
      time
      > > > as bones (skulls) have been found in shelters in the Red River
      Gorge
      > > > area - but they are scarce. An archeolgist friend thinks they
      moved
      > > > east into the area around 1500 and probably survived into the
      1700s,
      > > > as you have stated, Charles. No rock carvings that I know of
      depict
      > > > anything connected to buffalo. One site, Little Mud Creek
      pictograph
      > > > site, in Johnson County, near Paintsville, was noted by Funkhauser
      <
      Connelly
      > > > and Mitchell Hall: "high sandstone cliffs were decorated with
      > > > figures of turtles, rattlesnakes, bears, panthers, buffaloes, and
      > > > human figures ---." Rock Art of Kentucky: Coy, Fuller, Meadows,
      and
      > > > Swauger, 1997. Al C.

      Kentucky
      > > > until around 1675-1725.
      > > > Black bear---yes.
      > > > White tail deer and elk-yep.
      > > > But no buffalo.
      > > > Not a single one, as far as Fort Ancient.
      > > > Does anyone have any archaeological documents stating buffalo
      found
      > > > in Kentucky Hopewell?
      > > > I sure haven't seen it.
      > > > I'm just saying!!!!!!
      > > >
      > > > --- On Fri, 6/11/10, william smith wmsmithrock1@ --- On Fr
      > > >
      > > > From: william smith wmsmithrock1@ Fr
      > > > Subject: [thor-thehuntersohi Subject: [thor-the
      > > > To: thor-thehuntersohio To: thor-th To:
      > > > Date: Friday, June 11, 2010, 11:24 AM
      > > >
      > > & gt;
      > > > Hi All
      > > > Myron and I are Getting our Dung together.
      > > > William

      ROAD)
      > > > William

      com