CBSNA-LIDAR-closeup-falcon-effigy

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 25, 2010
      This is an image that should have gone with the reply that I wrote about mounds along the Mississippi River

      CBSNA-LIDAR-closeup-falcon-effigy

      Message 2 of 8 , May 13, 2012
        Hello All

        Parden me for sending the unfinished e mail prior to this one in response to Rick Osmon's e mail.

        USGA will tell you they are short of staff to get requests filled for this information. I have included below a Lidar image of a bird mound on a bluff above the Mississippi River near the town of Cassville WI.

        One can see the siltation on the left, lower,corner of the image.  The ridges at the bottom of the road and rail tracks are under water.
        There are lots more to come from this particular survey, done for many reason besides archeology.

        Patience I request from all, though I am as impatient as any of you.

        I am happy that bits an pieces get out once in awhile, as it makes me feel that lots will be found before it is gone.

        Ted Sojka
        Native Earthworks Preservation / Iowa
        AWS member
        On May 13, 2012, at 10:02 AM, Rick Osmon wrote:

        The raw data is available, but to the best of my knowledge has not been compiled or released as a study. Two forms / sources of data that could and would indicate ancient changes are in widespread use: Laser topography (LIDAR) and thermal spectroscopy. Both of these data sets have been accumulated by NASA and USGS. Prying the data from their greedy little hands is not easy.

        __

        CBSNA-LIDAR-closeup-falcon-effigy