History Channel doc. tonight "Who Really Discovered America?"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2010

      Greetings to the two new members, Dave from Kansas and Kat from Georgia.   Soon as I get a chance, to help acquaint you with this YahooGroup, I, as one of the co-hosts will email you a welcoming letter with list of several members who are OK about my sharing their general localities/waterways of the world and web sites, links, etc.

      Thanks to a couple of AAPS members, I received word that the History Channel has a documentary on cable TV tonight at 8PM EST, June 22nd (check schedules for your areas) titled:

      " Who Really Discovered America" : http://www.examiner.com/x-36275-SF-Cable-TV-Examiner~y2010m6d20-Who-really-discovered-America

      ...I agree with the author in the last paragraph of his article about the title. Am planning on tuning into the program tonight if accessible to this area.

      Also appears to be repeated June 28th at 8AM EST:

      8:00 AM
      Who Really Discovered America?

      Did a number of explorers discover the New World long before Christopher Columbus staked his claim i… TVPG | CC   http://www.history.com/schedule/6/28

      Thanks again to members here for interesting posts, comments, links, and host MinnesotaStan for his thoughtful letter.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 25, 2010
        Welcome to the new member w/screen name oswegolake13...
        As most here know, I always look for states, countries, etc. here when newcomers join because I like to associate members, and people in general, with waterways, because how we would have likely 'met' in ancient times would have been through navigation, water routes or living along coastlines or riverways.  So when I typed in ancient Lake Oswego, I found lakes in Oregon and near New York.  Whereever your locality, we are glad to have you here.  I will send you a newcomer email greeting with list of a few members to give you an idea of the diversity of this group which reaches across several continents.

        Hats off to Joe Sitting Owl White and Scott Wolter, both of whom were interviewed several times in the two hour History Channel premier last Tuesday, "Who Really Discovered America?". Very fine documentary which I did not realize was part of a series. Thanks Chris for your comments.   It should not surprise me at all that Marie and Andy Awes were involved with this documentary and I emailed them my congratulations.   The program reminded me of the staggering article by Marc Stengel in The Atlantic Monthly a decade or so ago and the front page photo (which Rick Osmon put into our  Photos section awhile back) that spread all across the cover:

         "THE DIFFUSIONISTS HAVE LANDED... You've probably heard of those crackpot theories about ancient Phoenicians or Chinese in the New World. Maybe its time to start paying attention. http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/2000/01/001stengel.htm

        As you may recall, Andy and Marie Awes had directed and produced the History Channel documentary, "The Holy Grail in North America" last year, which will again be re-running next month.  For those outside the United States,  both films are available on DVD through The History Channel web site.

        Scott Wolter had emailed the group last year that the film and work they were doing would continue to ruffle a few feathers, yet part of the momentum with outhers in helping to bring about a long needed paradigm shift.

        On the phone earlier, Dr. Jim Scherz told me he will be heading myway for a few hours tomrorow evening to catch up on news and two or three months of this group's posts and updates on members of this group.  Scherz had not seen the latest documentary but said he was glad "The Wizards of Awes" played a heavy hand once again in another significant documentary.

        My eyes are waning so will briefly list articles and items I have run across from some of this group's members.  Arriving yesterday in the mail was the new 31 page booklet,  Coming for Copper - Michigan Copper in the Bronze Age written by researchers from the Ancient Artifact Preservation Society.  Though only able to leaf through it, page 9 shows two photos from William Connor of items (castings?) found at the Garret Site in Chillicothee, Ohio.  On page 27 in the booklet is a nice photo of Charles Bruns next to a dolmen he found along a Minnesota riverway.

        In past years, publisher Wayne May has twice donated a dozen or so complimentary copies of Ancient American Magazine to members of this group,  and I have mailed them to folks.  Some of you here subscribe to the publication, or access it through patron requests or donation.  In the latest issue of Ancient American Magazine (Vol 14, Issue #47)  at least three members here have articles:

        feature article: "The Standing Stone of Peters Creek" (by editor,  Larry Gallant)
        "Second Hoard Roman Coins Found along the Ohio" (Lee Pennington)
        "Re-dating Serpent Mound: What Was the Serpent of Eden?" (Ross Hamilton)

        And to all of you, thank you again for each of your efforts, involvements, non-competitve,  mutual support to each other and others which continues to reach outward and upward.