90 years ago on June 5th 1920

  • Steven Steigerwald
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25 9:02 AM
    Dedication of the Fort Atkinson Intaglio Mound
    Vol. 19, No.4 Wisconsin Archeologist  Page 206
    INDIAN ORATION
    Hon. Charles B. Rogers then delivered the following oration: "Now, my forest children, my red children of the forest, may you cease your rejoicing, which you so well express in song & dance, and permit me, our old chief, Many Thunders, to say a few words to our brothers and sisters, the pale faces.
    "O, my white brothers & sisters! As I turn to you, my heart is full of gladness. We who are of America's first children are returned to our former home just for today, in obedience to your wish that the Indians themselves might be here, might know that this, the only remaining monument of our ancestors is still sacred ground. The great spirit, the Father of us all, who dwelleth in the clouds has granted us this one day; we have built our last camp fire and at night fall we shall glide down the river and pass out of your sight forever.
    "I speak to you, my children, this day on behalf of my departed people, the Winnebago, who for many, many generations dwelt on this very stream. Our children and our children's
    children were taught great affection for our river, the Sinnissippi. Did it not furnish food in its great flocks of ducks and geese and in its fish and turtles? In the spring its waters sang
    us a wild rejoicing song, while in the late summer the dip of the paddle could be heard. Happy was the life on the water when
    fleets of canoes plied back and forth. Here our ancestors enjoyed the same sun, the same moon, and the same stars that you do today. Here, too, the same winds whispered to our people.
    “In the sacred ground beyond you lie all the earthly remains of our noble ancestors. In the round mounds which once were here, our ancestors buried their chieftains.
    " Ah ! My white brothers and sisters, I am amazed at the many changes which have taken place since last I viewed this scene. Where are the noble forests? Gone! Where are the deer that roamed these parts and the buffalo? Where is the eagle, the king of the air? Where are the wolf, the bear, and the fox? Where are the great flocks of passenger pigeons that blackened
    the very heavens ? Gone ! Not one now remains. And our mounds, monuments of an ancient people; there were seventeen in this group ; now not one remains; all have been destroyed.
    But I am rejoiced that this sunken image, which our ancestors have carved out of the bosom of mother earth, still remains. Our young men and maidens honor the work of their ancestors, and
    today bring garlands and flowers to offer to its spirit.
    " Long and faithfully did they labor to carve out from the soil, this silent figure of the Wichawa, the panther, most powerful and guardian spirit of our Winnebago village.
    "Once in the long, long ago, a good Winnebago stood on the bank of the river, offering his devotions to the Wakanda, and fasting 20 days. Then he saw an animal rise to the surface of
    the water, it was a Wakanda, a water spirit.
    It had heard the Indian’s story of his troubles and told him that it would help him and that his life thereafter would be long and happy.
    Then many other Indians saw the animal. As our ancestors desired its future protection and guidance, they constructed near this village, and among those of other wakandas, its likeness.
    "Here it is, apparently in perfect condition. O my people! and my white brothers and sisters, this is hallowed ground.
    Here my ancestors worshipped the spirit of the panther and
    believed in its protection and guidance.
    It is a symbol of the sacred past, of the community life of my people.
    Here our ancestors made their home and here we made our home; We were members of the Panther Clan; we had the panther spirit in us and were all kindred.
    " Soon, now, we shall go back along the long, silent trail, but before we take our departure, I will leave this image here before me in the hands and keeping of our white brothers and sisters forever ! "
    THE UNVEILING
    At the close of this oration the descriptive tablet provided by the D. A. R. to mark the intaglio was unveiled by Mrs. Meta Kammer of Fort Atkinson.
    Dr. William H. Weld, the mayor of the city accepted the marker in the following words:
    "I feel it would be presumptuous for me to attempt to add anything to what has already been said upon this occasion, but I am impressed at this time by the thought that never within the life of any of those assembled here today, in fact, never within the life of any that are to follow us will this ceremony, with its
    significance be repeated. The more I consider the subject the more I am impressed with the sacredness of the trust imposed upon us.
    I, therefore, as the official representative of the City of Fort Atkinson do hereby accept this intaglio to be preserved & held in trust for the benefit of this and future generations."
    Many of the visitors were afterwards entertained at Fort Atkinson homes.

    Message 2 of 2 , May 28 8:31 PM
      Thank you, Steve, for sending this letter from a man of great heart,
      wisdom and remarkable foresight written ninety years ago. Made me want
      to be, live, more like old chief, Rolling Thunders....

      I go to this sacred site in Ft. Atkinson, not very far east of Madison,
      Wisconsin where my daughter lives. Steve, anything more on the missing
      Offering Stone which was taken from Aztalan two years ago Independence
      Day weekend? I will rerun your and Jim Steven's letters again eary in
      July.

      Susan

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Steven Steigerwald
      <aztalan2008@...> wrote:

> [...]
      following words:
      > "I feel it would be presumptuous for me to attempt to add anything to
      what has already been said upon this occasion, but I am impressed at
      this time by the thought that never within the life of any of those
      assembled here today, in fact, never within the life of any that are to
      follow us will this ceremony, with its
      > significance be repeated. The more I consider the subject the more I
      am impressed with the sacredness of the trust imposed upon us.
      > I, therefore, as the official representative of the City of Fort
      Atkinson do hereby accept this intaglio to be preserved & held in trust
      for the benefit of this and future generations."
      > Many of the visitors were afterwards entertained at Fort Atkinson
      homes.

      > The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts

      http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multiaccount&ocid=PI\
      D28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_4