Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Fwd: Holand's ax   (letter from Judi Rudebusch)

  • Judi Rudebusch
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2010
      HI to the group-
      What was missing in this whole ax story is the finding of the ax, by E. O. Estenson.  As a young person, he came with his father up in the non settled area of Cormorant Lakes, close to Detroit Lakes MN.  There were only traces of Native Americans in the area where they stopped at the Lakes on their trek up North looking to settle.  The Great Beltrami Slough stopped their progress North.   It was at this stopping point, they they sat on the large rocks along the lake in 1871.  It was here that E. O.  saw the stones with the holes chiseled into them.   His father settled there, brought the family possessions up  there.  It was there, also, along the large lake rocks, that young E. O. saw something shining in the water, and there he found an old firesteel- and then the ax.

      One asks,  these things had to be lost previous to E. O. finding them- correct.  The Native Americans in the area would have to have seen others there.  We do know that we had a transition of tribes moving through this area when you take a larger time frame. They could have found and used the same ax.

      But it all comes down to testing- and is it that expensive to do this?  In history of smelting and hammering, cooling and putting edges on-  people can now tell us how long ago (relatively) this was done.  Instead of going this extra mile,  the facts are theses:  we chose not to.  We could separate out the later day iron objects and build a true picture of these implements- thus making a true picture for us to study.