Re: JSTOR: Archaeology under Water

  • herbswoods
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2007
      When you consider that almost all travel at one time through the upper
      Midwest and other areas was by canoe along waterways, plus the fact
      that early populations lived on waterways, finding submerged
      archaeological evidence is a distinct possibility.

      I have been snorkeling shallow northern Wisconsin canoe streams and
      lakes and am always on the lookout for artifacts and ancient fossil
      remains. So far I haven't found anything of significance, but that day
      may come. Several modern artifacts of course.

      > JSTOR: Archaeology under Water
      > Underwater archeology is a fairly new branch of archaeology. As a new
      > subject it has probably ... It now appears how rich Trier is in this
      > respect as well. ...
      >
      > links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0002-9114(196801)72%3A1%3C85%3AAUW%3E2.0.CO%
      > 3B2-I
      >

      > The material you requested is included in JSTOR, an online journal
      > archive made available to researchers through participating libraries
      > and institutions.
      >
      > This article is available for purchase from the publisher for $8.50
      > USD. However, the article may be available free of cost to you via
      > your affiliation with a participating institution or individual
      > access account.
      >
      > Review: [Untitled]
      > Reviewed Work(s):
      > Archaeology under Water by George F. Bass
      > Review author[s]: John E. Rexine
      > American Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 72, No. 1 (Jan., 1968), pp. 85-
      > 86
      > doi:10.2307/501836
      >
      > On another note, there is a University where I live that carries
      > JSTOR material (ethnology would be my preference)that can be read at
      > the University without a library card (here it's $50)perhaps being
      > affilated, JSTOR material would be allowed to refer to in tech groups
      > such as this and Cherokee History and not-for-profit foundations such
      > as that, that I have yet help established alone the lines of TASC
      > Inc.; and Native Earthworks both orgs perhaps inspired by Joe Watkins
      > publication of "Indigenous Archaeology" which I have not read but
      > have estabished a lasting friendship who has the same vision. And I
      > tend to agree with him as far as Orgs are not really needed, in
      > regards to Indigenous awareness and more and more of the general
      > public are becoming less verbally-constipated.
      >
      > be well,
      > jamey

    • james m. clark jr.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28, 2007
        Oh I very much consider that Herb

        I was informed about two years ago that a dugout canoe was cought on
        a trout line by a fella my brother-in-law knew before he (the man
        that keept the canoe with intensions to sell it) has since died and
        now his sister may still have it. This family from the way my brother-
        in-law put is very superstitious and believe the canoe was cursed. It
        may not be good for archaeological data now, but I could still use it
        for Native Awareness projects and guess speakers.

        I couldn't tell you how long ago I seen a program, 20/20 or primetime
        perhaps, but some guy was harvesting waterloged trees that had sunk
        in the depths of the Great Lakes, yet after 150 years or so they were
        worth there weight in gold which was around 325.00 once at the time.
        The wood was suitable for high dollar musical instruments. If I
        recall correctly only this one man has or had the rights to harvest
        the wood. At that time my interests as far as history was aroung the
        Black Sea which is just as deep as the Great Lakes. Do you know if
        fresh water in the open sea is stable for an extended period of time?
        I kind of figured it would be somewhat like water in oil or vice
        versa.

        At any rate, I assume the Army Core of Engineers had something to do
        with that; somewhat like a redicules 50 year contract permitting a
        local Brick company to harvest clay practically through the Ocmulgee
        National Monument State Park - which will destroy 3 archaeological
        sites as well as knowing that Macon is prone to occasional flooding.
        Actually I was trying to organize a down river protest to the
        atlantic and walk to Savannah, but I was to late, there wasn't enough
        time to do anything.

        be well,
        jamey

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "herbswoods"