Discovery of Australia in the 1500s

  • minnesotastan
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2007
      Our ancient waterways/diffusion discussions focus on North America,
      but I wanted to share this link for those with broader interests -

      http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSSYD3449720070321?pageNumber=1

      It contains very convincing information that the east coast of
      Australia was first discovered in the 1500s by the Portugese, not in
      the 1600s by the Dutch, as the conventional wisdom has held.

      Interesting bit in the article about ancient maps being drawn on
      animal skins and thus extending between skins, leading to possible
      errors when transcribing the info to new documents.

      stan