RE: [ancient_waterways_society] ireland

  • David S Brody
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 18, 2010

      Chris and Others:

      I was very impressed by the Newport Tower winter solstice illumination, but it never quite added up to me because I thought it should be at dawn, like so many others that have been witnessed and documented.  That a site as well-regarded as Newgrange gives precedence for a 9:00 AM illumination puts a smile on the face of my inner lawyer  ;-)

      Dave

      From: David S Brody <DavidSBrody@ comcast.net>
      To: ancient_waterways_ society@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 2:12 PM

      Thanks for sharing this, Susan.

      I found it interesting that the winter solstice illumination occurs at 9:00 AM, just as does at the recently-discovered winter solstice illumination at the Newport Tower in Rhode Island .

      Dave Brody

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 18, 2010
        Hi All, Just some food for thought. Latitude makes a big difference what time the sun rises. Here where I live in Upper Michigan along the south shore of Lake Superior the sunrise for the winter soltice is close to 830 am. We are at about 47* latitute.
        Jo Ann

        http://www.iol.ie/~geniet/eng/top.htm

        http://www.mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/newgrange/index.html

        To: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
        From: DavidSBrody@...
        Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:29:19 -0400

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 20, 2010
          Hi Susan!
          I hope Dave knew i was pulling his leg a little, there, with my own response.
          The Red River of the North affects me directly. Judy is not on the Red, but juuuust south of it's drainage. (The RRof the N runs North into Winnepeg, Canada...)

          The overall snowfall was of record depths this year in the Valley, so flood predictions up to this very day, Saturday the 20th, have been dire and newsworthy. Unlike last year, however, we were not beset by late March blizzards on top of it. Winter is not quite done here until second week of April, despite the equinox happening today. Blessedly, up to the last 36 hours, we've had above freezing air temps, fog, light rain or just cloudy overcast days. The snowcover has melted off in rapid but orderly fashion, so that yes, we are back to floodfighting, but not so desperate as the panic was last year.

          Then, as if on perfect cue, the last 36 to 48 hours have had overnight freezing frosts without any more significant precip. This slowed down the meltwater and allowed the main channel of the Red to keep evacuating northward. At this minute, i can look West out my second story window and see the silvery surface of the floodwaters lapping across the field surfaces, a mile over to the river, and stretching out for another two miles in the horizon on the North Dakota side. It has swallowed the county road between our little village of Perley and the river channel. The reconstituted lost Great Lake of Aggasiz is washing up at the foot of our town dike, and rising.

          But since Fargo/Moorhead's crest is today or tomorrow, and it is looking to be a foot less than last year's record, i feel relaxed enuf to sleep at nite, knowing our own dike will be protection enough without dramatic sandbag rituals. There is still April to come, and there always seems to be one last snort from Old Man Winter the first week in that month. The Red has been known to crest as many as three times before it settles down for the summer.

          Speaking of Red Cross efforts, my own (late) Dad was a long time, multi-decade volunteer for that honorable institution. When he passed on, one thing i saved of his, and wear occasionally for remembrance, is his official Red Cross cap, decorated with achievement and event pins. I'll always have a nostalgic and deep respect for Red Cross efforts across the globe.

          Bests, all!
          -chris

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 20, 2010
            If you do any research into the ancient arts of Numerology from Indus>Arabia>Egypt>Druid>Medieval Europe>Rennaisance>Freemasonry you will find a great body of interest surrounding the number 9.
            No, i'm not going to do everyone's homework. Check it out, tho. Worth your time.
            -c