"Could It Be Just A Rock?- & ancient Brule River

    Message 1 of 65 , Mar 6, 2010
      Vince,
      Intriguing article you uploaded today to our Files  section, the short article w/photos about the odd spherical stone: "Could It Be Just A Rock?"

      It further adds to the mystique of that region of the country.
      Does anyone know which Brule River, or exact site where the sphere was found?  There are two Brule Rivers in Wisconsin and a Bois Brule, which joins the Brule River in the western part of the state.  The latter are not far from some of the wilderness riverway sites Herb Wagner has photographed, including his "Ancient Underwater Road?" link.  His "Wisconsin's Ancient Copper Miners" web site:
      http://www.atthecreation.com/wis.anc/%20cu.mines.html seems to include the areas around both Brule Rivers--each may have been significant in transporting ancient and historic copper traders/voyagers between the Great Lakes and N. Atlantic. (The more easterly large Lake Superior island on the map in Herb's site is considerably more submerged, many smaller islands totally so, which indicates a map of considerable antiquity).

      The western Wisconsin Brule River was 'The voyageur's earliest path from Lake Superior to the Mississippi basin,  from this web site on the Brule/Bois Brule River: http://www.bruleriverlodge.com/AboutBruleRiver.html

      and obviously significant route between Lake Supeior, the Mississippi River, & Gulf of Mexico:

      Brule History-The Brule River was first explored and described by the French explorer, Sieur du Luht, in the late 1600s. The Brule soon became a superhighway for the French voyaguers, who found it led upstream to Upper St. Croix Lake.  This lake is headwaters of the Brule (which runs north), and the St. Croix River (which runs south and joins the Mississippi, to Minneapolis, and New Orleans).

      There is also a more easterly Brule River in Wisconsin near Iron Country, Michigan,47 miles long. 'The Brule is the border river between Wisconsin and Michigan, entering the Menominee River near Iron Mountain'. This area is not far from Lake Michigan, and, the Copper Culture State Park & Museum where AWS friend, Monette Bebiw-Reinhard is curator

      Because of its connecction to Lake Superior it seems ikely the stone sphere in the article Vince sent pertains to the more westerly Bois Brule and Brule River located closer also to the Duluth, Minnesota-Wisconsin border.

      Member David Johnson and his father likely did exploring and collecting near both Brule River regions of Wisconsin & Michigan: http://copperculture.homestead.com/ and hopefully we will get input from him, Herb, MinnesotaStan and others who have fished or explored these wilderness waterways.

      Keep the posts, ideas, links coming in on this subject!

      Message 65 of 65 , May 31, 2014
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the ancient_waterways_society
        group.

        File : /LONGYOU-4.doc
        Uploaded by : drsrmdejonge <drsrmdejonge@...>
        Description : LONGYOU CAVES, CHINA