Re: Ancient Copper Mines: Lake Superior

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2007
      Herb, and All,

      Because of the reference you have made to Jonathoan Carver in your
      sites, I am inserting this photo from an online book of Jonathon
      Carver's travels. Hopefully the photo comes through via this link.
      Not sure if anyone wants this in the Photo section, but could go in
      later if we start retracing the post-glacial Mississippi River
      pathways and channels, i.e., through Chicago to Miami, other
      interconnecting rivers east and west. Some of my family members live
      in Mpls-St. Paul and you are seeing this first, here. Also found
      another Carver site a few weeks ago details of a large cave in now
      urban Minneapolis near "Mound" Street...sadly the cave destroyed, but
      many Carver references to pertroglyph specifics w/unusual references
      and mysteries we may never fully get to the bottom of. Will dig that
      site up sometime in the future.

      Falls of St. Anthony in the River-Mississippi:

      http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm4/document.php?
      CISOROOT=/aj&CISOPTR=13304&CISOSHOW=13191

      From: A Journal of the Travels, with a Description of the Country,
      Lakes, &c.
      70a illustration: "The Falls of St. Anthony in the River-Mississippi
      near 2400 miles from the entrance innto the Gulf of Mexico"
      __________
      More details on St. Anthony Falls, from Wikipedia online encyclopedia:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Anthony_Falls

      "Geologists say that the falls first appeared roughly 10,000 years
      ago several miles downstream near the confluence of the Minnesota
      River, around modern-day Saint Paul.[4] Estimates are that the falls
      were about 180 feet high at that time. The massive River Warren, a
      precursor of today's Minnesota River, had a waterfall that is said to
      have been twice as wide as Niagara Falls. Over the millennia, the
      falls moved upstream, breaking off into several smaller waterfalls as
      tributaries were reached. Minnehaha Falls in south Minneapolis is one
      of several such examples".
      _________
      Susan

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "herbswoods"
      <herbswoods@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Susan invited me to join the group so I have.
      >
      > My interest in the ancient Lake Superior copper mines since 1980
      when
      > I first visited Keweenaw Point on the U.P. Later I discovered there
      > were old copper mines here in NW Wisconsin, which if you read
      Jonathan
      > Carver's account carefully he seems to mention in 1767.
      >
      > In the past 10 years or so, Prof. "Rip" Rapp at UM-Duluth has proven
      > that ancient peoples were also obtaining native copper from these
      > Wisconsin outcrops along Totogatic River and its tributaries.
      >
      > While Totogatic River is a dead-end stream that doesn't go anywhere
      > (besides to these copper lodes!), it drains into the St. Croix which
      > is part of the ancient Bois Brule--St.Croix route that was used as a
      > canoe highway between Lake Superior and the Mississippi from time
      out
      > of mind.
      >
      > This "ancient waterway" actually FLOWED south out of Lake Superior
      > into the Mississippi during a high water stage as the glacier melted
      > back from western Lake Superior some 9,000-10,000 years ago.
      >
      > Like someone stated, you don't need Sedona to find magical places.
      We