Re: Note the "Links" link on the left side of this page & Welcome Nathan

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2007
      Ancient Waterways Society,

      Thank you, Stan for addl. information re: "Links"---permanent group
      links and exerpts of web links or more temporary ones which many of
      us leave within messages, yet hopefully can later resurrect, i.e.,
      reference as "AWS Post #__" along with www link for interconnecting
      to later posts here or other web groups. If anyone at any Yahoogroup
      is doing a particular search, members and onlookers may
      click "Messages", then Search by post #, topic, or member name for

      Welcome also to new member Nate, who I believe some here know from
      PreColumbian Inscriptions (a PI member, I have been unable to access
      the "Membership" list at that site). I believe you'd inquired years
      ago if I knew of a Lake Superior source of raw copper for work you
      are engaged in. I visit rock shops regularly, hope you were able to
      personally visit the Keweenaw Peninsula...

      Herb...glad to see you have placed your two fine web sites under
      Links: "Ancient Copper Mines of NW Wisconsin" and "Ancient Waterway:
      Totogatic River". Herb joined last week, as did Norm, Marti, and
      others. Previous members I may have missed greeting personally or
      acknowledged the additions of photos, etc. I was even less computer-
      proficient, didn't know when people joined web groups, added links,
      photos, etc. So, anyone at this web site see things we might miss and
      wish to encourage or acknowledge the work of 'fellow' members here,
      please feel free. This is your group, as well as we who host/co-host
      here.

      Dr. Jim Scherz, retired engineering prof from UW Madison has spent
      decades surveying ancient earthwork sites in WI, OH, MN, IL, IA, and
      elsewhere (much of it unpublished). writes proficiently but often
      seemed to have PC problems. Was in town here yesterday visiting a
      mutual friend, stopped here at my little bungalow resting along a
      high bank paralleling "Sturgeon Eddy Road" to view online for AAAPF
      contact info re: his 'possible talk' at the October AAAPF/MES/Thor
      conference. Many may have forgotten Dr. Scherz was a main founder and
      drew up bylaws, elections of officers, was on the original board,
      etc. I know because I was present at meetings and member/catalyst of
      prior groups which became AAAPF. By preference, I am a
      background/support person, which is not a wimpy position. Jim hasn'tt
      attended any of the conferences of the AAAPF group. We both felt
      board members at that time should be from the "UP". Now, the group is
      expanded to include fine groups from all over the country, and
      several countries. The Ohio conference is to be in Ohio; next year I
      was pushing for Cahokia, now am hearing people who could put in time
      and effort to perhaps have it in Indiana...Oz, you mentioned the
      area...Vincennes?, is that it? If you have time, let us know some of
      its historic and ancient background, waterways, and changes, if any
      through the millinnea that neck of the woods.

      I put Dr. Scherz online again at our Ancient Waterways site here
      again yesterday because of his interest in this group and "Ancient
      Waterways Society" group title which I partically give him credit for
      inspiring. Showed him several AWS letters, which he was enthused
      over; very much seemed to enjoy Herb's Wisconsin waterway sites, and
      other sites from members here. When there is time, he will view more.
      Many researchers with whom I am long associated do not correspond via
      the Internet, and I stopped nagging about it. Dr. Scherz commented
      months ago Ancient Waterways Society would be a fine group for
      persons to insert research papers. He offered his "Old Water Levels
      and Old Waterways..." paper, but many hard copies are floating around
      plus are for sale via Ancient American Magazine bookstore. With
      Jim's permission several months ago, I typed out a chapter to include
      within posts to Ancient Waterways and PreColumbian Inscriptions. One
      is PI #9640:

      Perhaps her will do a second, similar paper from cooperative work
      many of you are doing here on waterways throughout the ancient Great
      Lakes-Mississippi Riverways and transcontinental ports beyond. Plus,
      many of you here may be very helpful with insights on rivers, ocean
      ports/passages, lakes, former riverways at other areas of the
      continent(s). I have an absolutely staggering photo I found in a
      Jonathon Carver Internet book found a while back on huge St.
      Anthony's waterfall in downtown St. Paul, only a couple of hundred
      years ago, which is not 'ancient' but historic. Hence, why
      anthropologists, geologists, historians are turning to old
      references, photos, the insights and archives of lay researchers in
      order to "re-think:, re--write, and fill in many of the gaps
      and 'missing links' within N. American recent history. Our ancient
      history may also be accessed cooperatively as such.

      I and others here are not the only ones who feel much can be gained
      by re-examining the ancient past via ancient waterways, geologic and
      climactic changes, possible catastrophic events in ancient and more
      recent times. A good example was last night's NOVA TV program on the
      catastrophic flood/deluge which drastically altered the "Scablands"
      in NE part of the United States only 15,000 year ago, probably not
      far from the lands where member Marti roams.

      One other thing re: any of you who wish to share more general
      information about who you are, where you are from ,etc....Yahoogroup
      members only may click "Members" and view Profiles. If there is time
      one of these days, I may comment further on some of the profiles,
      photos, etc, here as I did Marti's wonderful slides shows of
      wilderness areas, petroglyphs, etc. Another profile: take a look at
      the gorgeous vertical drop to the river below Nova Scotia member,
      Terry's profile photo. If any of you wish to add further information
      in your Yahoo Profiles with generalities about where you live, etc.,
      members may Edit Profile Information.

      Once again, no one need feel pressured to post here. Several groups
      I 'follow' from time to time with much interest, but do not write
      messages. If anyone has comments or suggestions, please feel to let
      us know as a group, or email host/founder MinnesotaStan, or
      myself/cohost who ran around all by her lonesome using a borrowed
      term "ancient waterways" and added society as a way to try to link
      people through time, across culture and other boundaries...to our
      common, very ancient past.

      Thank you for making a Society which was once One, a very interesting
      and viable group of researchers, correspondants, and viewers within a
      few short years. And Stan for setting it up. Over time, I believe
      fine discoveries will come about through this coopertive work with
      professional and well-traveled avocational seekers and researchers.

      Sincerely,
      Susan

      http://hometown.aol.com/suzenglish/myhomepage/profile.html
      ___________

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "minnesotastan"
      <minnesotastan@...> wrote:

      > When I set up this Yahoo group in late 2004, I placed a few links
      and
      > a few folders in the "Links" section (which you can access from the
      > blue link at the left of this page).
      >
      > This is the place for EVERYONE to place links you want others to
      read
      > or notice or refer to. I note our new contributors are adding links
      > to their messages, but not to the permanent links list.
      >
      > My thought would be that if a link is just a transient thing, esp re
      > news, or only applies to a discussion that will soon fade away, it
      can
      > be left in the message and not stored for future use. But some
      links
      > have lasting value.
      >
      > For example, I want to thank Susan for posting this link last week -
      >
      > http://www.library.wisc.edu/etext/Antiquities/antiqHome.html#TOC
      >
      > It takes you to an online e-book (Lapham's Antiquities of
      Wisconsin).