Re: Cave art preservation

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2010
      Stan,

      Unfortunate that you need the bars, but if you study the French experience, they have put steel doors on some of their caves.  The bats and raccoons still have access, but the cave is safe until the future technology is ready to explore this time capusle in ways less destructive than the present.

      In the 1970's the Effigy Mounds were outlined by Dr. R Clark Mallam of Luther College. He and many volunteers used agricultural lime, and used football field machines to outline the mounds and photograph them from the air.  After carry a bag of lime up the 300 foot elevation behind some much younger boy scouts involved in the activity, I was beat.  I had a great appreciation of the mound builders carry mud in basket up from the Mississippi River bottoms.

      Ted Sojka
      Art Educators of Iowa
      Native Earthworks Preservation of Iowa

      On Feb 21, 2010, at 3:16 PM, Stan Rehm wrote:

      I just found the poster online -

      www.nps.gov/archeology/pubs/egrams/2009IowaPoster.pdf

      The poster will be useful if/when I write this up either for my blog or for Neatorama.

      Raking the snow off the mounds to outline them.  What a simple and clever idea!

      I don't know why these italics won't go away....

      Over and out,

      Stan Rehm

      ALSO:

      Hello Stan,
      From you post on your site.

      "...It's sad that sites like these have to be sealed with iron gates to prevent modern cretins from vandalizing them."

      I think this has been my driving desire for decades, regarding ancient art.  In Lascaux the French built a complete model using many artists, of the cave and it's art, in a separate building. This was so you could get some of the experience of the cave, without introducing the mold and moisture contained in thousand of people passing through and saying, "WOW!"

      In teaching young students to appreciate this art and to try to give them the experience of caving and seeing these I had a lot of fun. The French Ministry of Culture has several outstanding sites that let you explore throught caves and see the art inside.  My young students were always challenged to think why three penquins were pictured in a cave on the coast of France?  Then came the experience of putting their minds in the ice age, when the sea leveles were hundreds of feet lower than at present.   Since our county has so much cave art, I thought it prudent to make it special for the residents so they could teach their children about this and to appreciate the stewardship required to maintain it.  This is hard to do in a culture that believes if it is a hundred years old, tear it down or throw it away.

      One good site with maps of a wonderful cave and you take your cursor through the cave that is above water level.  It is a time capsule sealed by the ocean.

      Thanks

      Ted

      You should have a link on your site to these handprints, marine animals, land animals, etc.