Fwd: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: log chambers in mounds

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2010
      steve hilgren

      I am just getting around to read old mail as inclement weather has me socked in here in Iowa.
      Here some places to read about:

      Spiro Oklahoma had a mound that had a hure log room inside containing many burials and art work.

      Several of the mounds had chambers built into them with log and bark covered places.

      Some in ground burials had houses of log built over them, before earth was added to start the mounds in Virginia.
      An earth covered lodge built by the Cahokians at a distant outpost in NE Iowa, that also had a log stockade around it, have been found.  Clay pots from Cahokia were found as well as arrow heads made of Obsidian from the Yellowstone, copper from Michigan, and conch shell from the Gulf, and it is considered an early trading post.  I was consulted by Fred Phinney, who was then state archeologist at the time, about an earlier dig which I was on, maybe twenty years before as an undergrad, at the same site but working on features nearby, rather than on the "fort".   We jokingly called it the first Walmart in Iowa.  The circular stockade was overlapped at the entrance allowing and easily defended doorway.

      Not only is there Catlins work but the paintings of the lodges done by Prince Maximilian espedition with Carl Bodmer as the painter of this early Jacque Cousteau style expedition before cameras.  A large collection of these are in Omaha at the Joslyn Museum in Omaha.  In addition CM Russell did a painting of York ,the black member of the Lewis and Clark expedition, pictured inside one of the Mandan earth lodges.
      I have also seen pit houses dug into the sides of hills along the rivers here, that were probably covered with log and bark for Winter time when large groups of people fanned out up stream of the tributaries leading from the Mississippi River

      Ted Sojka
      Native Earthworks Preservation / Iowa
      Art Educators of Iowa

      PS
      I can provide titles of books for you to find in Santa Cruz, but I know there are more interesting things to watch and see along the shore there. One I believe is called  "The Rape of Spiro Mound, the King Tuts tomb of Oklahoma"

      I was given a story from Alabama this year, where a Sam's Club contractor took down a very large mound for parking lot fill.  This was despite the fact there was a log lined cave in the side of this mound and stone footings on top.  The chamber contained multible bundle burials.   When someone died far from home or in the Winter, the bones were gathered in the Spring and ritually prepared and bundled for burial elsewhere.  I have seen old photos of tree burials in the Midwest from first settlers and photographers work. ("Barry, 1886" )

      Begin forwarded message:

       The link to Brad Olsens sacrad places is a good one for those that