Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Fwd: [thor-thehuntersohiorock] Re: [AncientVikingsAmerica] River Routes clarifications

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2010
      Hello Erik and Ted!

      ummm... like... might i throw a sabot into the gears, here...

      As fascinating as this is to try and identify landmarks, you might need to lay the "map" back down on the table and turn it 180 degrees. I sent these two pictures to my Midewiwin Elder contact in Canada. Black Bear pointed out that the scrolls you are looking at are diagrams of specific Medicine Lodge ceremonial proceedings... the path the Initiate takes in order to learn about specific phases of traditional learning.

      If you look at the one scroll, you can see the four chambers, each containing pipes, one in the first, two in the second, three in the third and four in the last one before the Initiate steps out into the rest of their Life journey. This was a teaching scroll to explain the four cardinal directions, and also show progressive levels of ability the trainee needed to attain (memorization of oral histories, levels of herbal or hands-on doctoring, abilities in ESP farsight, introductions to learning how to forecast or influence weather patterns etc.) in order to 'pass the exams' and go up another grade, in their education system. The four sacred directions, a new Pipe for each, were not a place you faced, but a frame of mind, one that held a whole library of information to understand for each 'door' you passed thru.

      The other map you've labeled upside down. Turn it around, you can see the Deer Spirit at one 'gate' acting as a guide. At other 'gates' and test points, you can see Otter Spirits, occuring in pairs, guarding the pathway against any chaos or unpure elements that might wish to disrupt the proper way of things. (Otters can be very fierce, not cute, cuddly things.) Medicine bags were often made of Otter skin because they were such good protection against bad-stuff... psychic lead-lining to one's "tools of the trade" against outside radiation of any unpure energies.

      So i hope to let you down easy, but the Native diagrams are not land maps, but psychological maps of the mind.

      Be well,
      -chris

      From: william smith <wmsmithrock1@...>
      Date: January 27, 2010 1:42:25 PM CST

      Hi Erik
        I somewhat agree with your rout, however the great lakes can not be ruled out due to the mooring stone holes in the St. Larance River. Do you know of a photo of the ( The Beardsmore OntarioViking sword ) If it has the coat of arms shield it may be Portuguese. I am not convinced the date on the KRS is 1362. I feel it could be 1472 just as easy if you look at the runs and the possible miss translation of the 4 and 6.
      William