Ricci 1600's world map in Chinese

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2010
      Here's the link going the rounds...
      >   http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_chinese_map_debut   <

      I found even more background info at Wikipedia listing
      >   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matteo_Ricci   <

      New listing, still under creative editing. ('Read but don't
      add anything' status.)

      I'm surprised on one hand that Ricci, a European Catholic
      missionary, drawing a map in Chinese language,
      knew all the continents placements so well at that early
      date. Since he had that good a grasp, i'm suprised he did NOT have a better impression of what was going on in N.America re> Hudson Bay being different from the Great Lakes system. On the Ricci map, he shows a speculative passage from the St. Lawrence seaway all the way north to the Arctic Ocean

      My question to the groups would be to ask whether anyone knows if it was the Portugese... or the Chinese, he got the Pacific Coast of N.Am from....??