Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: Cross symbols of birds

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
    Do you remember the old Thunderbird symbol from the Cars? The thunder
    bird symbols from the caves up and down the Mississippi Valley contain
    the bird man form and the large, seven story mound in the shape of a
    hawk is at Poverty Point and is the central focus of this large
    ancient city in Louisiana.
  • Dave Goudsward
    Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
      I've just added a new folder named Eastern Massachusetts. In it are a
      couple of shots of a stone with a glyphs.

      It was found 20 years ago by a Metropolitan District Commission Park
      Ranger in suburban Boston, face down on the ground in a wooded
      conservation area. It is now owned by the ranger's son, who has been
      summarily dismissed by every museum he has contacted because of the lack
      of weathering on the glyph face.

      He's ready to give up on it and has asked me to offer suggestions. Any
      thoughts?

      --

      Dave Goudsward
      Lake Worth, FL
      Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010

        David:

        Interesting stone.  Where in suburban Boston was it found?

        In some ways, the spirals and “crazy legs” on the Tanit-like image remind me of the Frost Valley, NY petroglyph:

        http://books.google.com/books?id=yIQfxjbeZ50C&pg=PA189&lpg=PA189&dq=frost+valley+petroglyph&source=bl&ots=icgtkqwpoF&sig=RIKuNUX7LtSUCEYjEp53iho4vUM&hl=en&ei=WeBHS_TrLoeulAeJ5okJ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=frost%20valley%20petroglyph&f=false

        (See page 190)

        One suggestion is for the owner to send it to Scott Wolter.  I’m sure Scott would take a look at it and give an opinion as to the weathering and other geological features.  If interested, let me know and I can arrange it.

        Dave Brody

        Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
          Are there any inscriptions on this stone? Any possibility of closer-up pics? What does the back of it look like?

          Frode

          Frode Th. Omdahl
          Andrénbakken 10 A
          N-1392 Vettre
          Telefon 66 90 19 41  /  97 09 32 17

          Message 5 of 9 , Jan 10, 2010
            They don't mean anything, but I had two dreams since posting about these "hewn" stones.

            In the first dream I was walking along Wisconsin Point at Superior, Wis. and as far as the eye could see out into the lake the bottom was filled with perfectly shaped "hewn" blocks of stone. The water was perfectly transparent and crystal-clear and the complex lakebed was a world unto itself.

            The 2nd dream was very strange, with native copper and a gift from the "spirit." There were also two Indian women in it, but nothing about hewn stones.

            Some force is apparently trying to tell me something. Too bad I don't believe in that stuff!