Welcome new members

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23 11:20 PM
      I would like to welcome Patricia and new member 'thoughtoflove2' to
      the group! I was away for several days and apologize for the delay
      in welcoming you both. I am full time and a half at several jobs
      yet, but helping to connect diffusionist researchers seems to be an
      essential element in my life.

      The Ancient Waterways Society web site is newly established and you
      are among its early members. Please feel free to make suggestions
      as to possible modes of intercommunications well suited for this
      site, which align with the suggestions outlined in our group's
      founding principles. With that in mind, please feel free to
      introduce yourselves to each other, provide friendly greetings to
      newcomers, and let's see what we can do in the next several months
      to find common ground in the exchange of ideas, exploration, and
      mutual support not filled by other similar groups.

      In this group's introductory letters the founders of the Ancient
      Waterways Society make reference to, and are members of, the
      PreColumbian Inscriptions group (see the URL listed under
      our "Links", to your left). It is neither my intention nor
      capability that Ancient Waterways Society duplicate the services of
      the remarkably bright and lively PreColumbian Inscriptions Message
      Board.

      I noted from your Profile, Patricia, a keen interest in Celtic
      culture and language and suggest checking the PreColumbian
      Inscriptions posts the past week or two for letters on that
      topic...I believe two are from host Mike (who recently joined
      Ancient Waterways Society) and, if I recall, a Dr. Legner.

      I received a suggestion for our group from retired University of
      Wisconsin professor of Civil and Enviromental Engineering, Dr. James
      Scherz, who is also a founder of Ancient Earthworks Society--again,
      see "Links". Jim suggested the Ancient Waterways Society group
      post related papers and has offered for placement on the web site
      this Spring: "OLD WATER LEVELS AND WATERWAYS During the Ancient
      Copper Mining Era (about 3000 BC to 1000 BC). For further
      information on Dr. Scherz' background and extensive work surveying
      Native American effigy mounds, ancient astronomy, and other areas of
      research, check out his University of Wisconsin URL:
      http://www.engr.wisc.edu/cee/faculty/scherz_james.html

      Dr. Scherz is not accessible online and the email address listed no
      longer in use. Jim will be guest speaker at the Ancient Earthworks
      Society in Madison (Wisconsin) in May and will speak with our site's
      web designer-moderator, MinnesotaStan about tne submission of his
      paper and possibly ongoing research material to the Ancient
      Waterways web site. Another paper I will request for submission is a
      twenty-seven page paper incl/diagrams Prof. Scherz wrote just prior
      to his presentation last month at a local Institute of Noetic
      Sciences meeting: "The Golden Ratio--Key to Secret Ancient Sacred
      Geometry--"
      [...helping us to better 'think like the ancients'].

      My interest in diffusionist research is in interconnecting
      researchers -- both avocational and professional--to each other and
      to resources so as to investigate data, explore ideas, re-examine
      and re-write the history we have long been taught. And most
      importantly, to provide insights and opportunities to those I serve
      toward wise, practical APPLICATION of selected data, built from the
      wisdom and intelligence of past societies that coould bring about a
      more balanced, healtier world.....uncovering and carrying forth the
      legacies of the ancients into useful, present contexts.

      In the meantime, as we continue free exchange across "international
      waters", our intercommunications may not be too unlike those of our
      profoundly diverse, seafaring ancestry.

      Most Cordially,

      M. Susan English
    • Vince
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2010
        First, welcome two (2) new members to the Ancient Waterways Society.

        This is to share an historic waterways connection that may be of interest. Around 1840, people around the world began using blue-green glass floats as buoyancy for their fishing nets.

        Many of these glass floats were inadvertently lost by the fishermen. The objects began to float around the world in ocean currents.

        A large number of the glass floats were created in Japan and signed by their makers. The glass floats range in size from a few inches in diameter up to the size of a beach ball.

        Beachcombers occasionally find these objects on beaches around the world. Occasionally they are used as decorations in seafood restaurants and serious collectors search for them. Several authors have published books identifying the makers marks.

        One wonders if ancient people would occasionally find the fishing floats/ cultural debris from other foreign societies washing up on their shores.

        Once again, new members are welcome to introduce themselves and communicate about their interests.

        Vince