Re: [ancient_waterways_society] SW Wisconson Sandstone Heads [1 Attachment]

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2010
      This is well documented and the expert is at Beloit College and he is Bob Salzer.    This shelter where this head was found, was a story telling cave with an ancient mural, a pictograph that features a mythic character called Redhorn.

      He outsmarts giants and marries their princes.  He is a trickster, a kind of batman-ish superhero, or some other cartoon.   Saltzer has been studying this rock shelter for many years,  Upstream is the famous ghost eagle mound, which has been plowed over by many years of agricultural use.  It can be seen in aerial and satellite photos, as it is thousands of feet long and appears as a grayish stain in darker soil.  Many others caves, rock shelters, and Effigy Mounds along the Wisconsin River in this area, where also FL Wright built his first Taliesen home and school.

      The river is still a great canoe trail with lots of sandy beaches that drain from Also Leopold.s, sand counties to the North.

      Try the Ho Chunk website and the Mississippi Valley Archeology Center for more information.

      The Gotschall shelter has soot over the paintings that can be dated around this time.
      On Jan 8, 2010, at 5:14 PM, Chris Patenaude wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Chris Patenaude included below]

      Maybe this is old news. But first time eyeballed by me.
      My Utah connection just sent me this URL and says..
      "Have you seen this one?"
      The pix would not link.
      The caption says

      <arc550> -- Sandstone head (AD 1100-1200), Gotschall, southwestern Wisconsin

      Here is the URL if it works for you.

      http://www.faculty. ucr.edu/~ legneref/ archeol/htm/ arc550.htm   <

      I wish i could get the 'credits' button to cough up, but it goes non-functional, too.

      So i write back to Utah and ask him, gots the pix yerself?

      Yup, he dood!

      See Attached.

      Who knows anything more about this???

      Vibrations like Peru, Rapa Nui, Celtic heads seen in Europe, old figures from Danube, or Syria, or Asia minor would seem similar!

      Who has the article? What culture do the collegiate archy's assign it to? What era of American history? Curious minds want to know!

      -crispy