Re: Bresson Stone, Charles Boland

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2010

       am not familiar with the Bresson Stone but presumably the following 1965 article is related to the debunking you are referring to, Dave:

       (…from BULLETIN of the Massachusetts Archaeological Society, Vol. 28, No. 1, October 1966)  "A Probably Fake Pre-Columbian Marker", by Bernard W. Powell: http://www.bwpowell.com/archeology/marker/fake.html

      I've not read  They All Discovered America by  Charles Michael Boland and wonder if someof  you have, and recommend it?  (click  author's name for more of his publications)  http://www.amazon.com/They-Discovered-America-Charles-Boland/dp/B000OLERB8

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Dave Goudsward <dave@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone happen to know what ever happened to the 13th Century
      > English land-grant marker that Charles Boland found in Connecticut back
      > in 1963?
      >
      > I know Mass Arch Soc debunked it and it seems to have dropped off the
      > radar after that./ /
      >
      > --
      >
      > Dave Goudsward
      > Lake Worth, FL
      > http://ancientstonesites.com
      > http://shadows-over.com

    • Dave Goudsward
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2010
        Actually Powell also wrote a brief report up of his initial visit in a
        1964 American Antiquity as well. The big article is the MAS piece.
        Boland didn't wait for the Powell excavation, he went to the newspapers
        and managed to snag enough press to score some speaking engagements.

        I do have a copy of Boland and he did no research whatsoever. His book
        has something like 19 separate claims of North American visits before
        Columbus, almost all of which are Boland blindly repeating material from
        earlier sources. Not one I'd go out of way to acquire unless you feel a
        need to have a complete set of ink on a particular site.

        Susan wrote:

        > am not familiar with the Bresson Stone but presumably the following
        > 1965 article is related to the debunking you are referring to, Dave:
        >
        > /(…from BULLETIN of the *Massachusetts Archaeological Society*, Vol.
        > 28, No. 1, October 1966) /*"A Probably Fake Pre-Columbian Marker",* by
        > Bernard W. Powell*:*
        > http://www.bwpowell.com/archeology/marker/fake.html
        > <http://www.bwpowell.com/archeology/marker/fake.html>
        >
        > I've not read * _They All Discovered America_* by Charles Michael
        > Boland
        > <http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&sort=relevancerank&search-alias=books&field-author=Charles%20Michael%20Boland>
        > and wonder if someof you have, and recommend it? (click author's name
        > for more of his publications)
        > http://www.amazon.com/They-Discovered-America-Charles-Boland/dp/B000OLERB8
        > <http://www.amazon.com/They-Discovered-America-Charles-Boland/dp/B000OLERB8>
        >

        > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Dave Goudsward
        > <dave@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Does anyone happen to know what ever happened to the 13th Century
        > > English land-grant marker that Charles Boland found in Connecticut back
        > > in 1963?
        > >
        > > I know Mass Arch Soc debunked it and it seems to have dropped off the
        > > radar after that./ /

      • Crispy
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 13, 2010
          Susan, thanks in all good ways for the exposure and sharing in my behalf. I'm merely driven to explore these kinds of material to fulfill some kind of inner passion for the Quest. If they can help others, fantastic.

          As i've mentioned to many friends, it seems as if i'm not actually anyone's destination, just the conductor. I'm rarely anyone's answer, but a bridge, a connection to where they hope to get.

          Taking your sage advice, i've gone back to the posted files and 'signed' each page for identification.

          One addenum to the theories i present in the papers, is that instead of a stick in the visible hole, i would also postulate if a large quartz crystal might also have been used for ceremonial reflections...

          Blessings on all journeys,
          chris