2009 was a record-setting year for Ancient Waterways Society

  • minnesotastan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2010
      This past year membership grew from 39 to 66, and the number of messages
      posted doubled from 363 to 744.

      Bigger is not a priori better, but in this case it is. The larger
      membership and more active message board has brought in more viewpoints,
      more interesting observations, and more insightful answers to questions.
      We have been fortunate that discourse has remained civil despite some
      potentially controversial topics (our whole raison d'etre is, of course,
      a bit controversial to start with). I'd like to offer my thanks and
      kudos to Susan and Vince for their leadership in maintaining,
      publicizing, and patrolling this site.

      I would also like to encourage more of our members to post items here -
      especially links to interesting material you have found while surfing
      the net. If you click on "post" under "messages" in the left sidebar,
      and then click on the option to write using "Rich Text Editor," you will
      find that it is intuitively easy to write a post with a clickable link.
      I wish it were easier to insert pictures into the posts, but there is
      the photo album in the left sidebar for anyone's use.

      Looking forward to an interesting 2010.

      Stan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2010

        Thank you, Stan,  for the encouraging words and very interesting statistics about this group.  I agree about the commendable civility, sharing of personal research, fine insights and observations by members within this growing associaton.  Much credit to  you, Stan, in your role of creating this Ancient Waterways Society web site five years ago.  And overseeing as host.   Congratulations again for your award-winning TYWKIWDBI site, which sometimes includes topics of an "ancient"  or "waterways" nature:  http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/

        My appreciation to Vince, especially in lieu of your long work days at the Port of Orleans and extensive  personal research.  I do not know if I have your correct main web site and suggest you (and other members here) to include your personal links from time to time below your salutations).

        Unable to take on additional responsibilities when it was suggested awhile back he would make a fine (3rd) co-host, thanks also to Ted  who contributes regularly here. provides insightful comments and support here.

        A thank you to all here, and Happy New Year.   Susan

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "minnesotastan" <minnesotastan@...> wrote:

        > This past year membership grew from 39 to 66, and the number of messages
        > posted doubled from 363 to 744.
        >
        > Bigger is not a priori better, but in this case it is. The larger
        > membership and more active message board has brought in more viewpoints,
        > more interesting observations, and more insightful answers to questions.
        > We have been fortunate that discourse has remained civil despite some
        > potentially controversial topics (our whole raison d'etre is, of course,
        > a bit controversial to start with). I'd like to offer my thanks and
        > kudos to Susan and Vince for their leadership in maintaining,
        > publicizing, and patrolling this site.
        >
        > I would also like to encourage more of our members to post items here -
        > especially links to interesting material you have found while surfing
        > the net. If you click on "post" under "messages" in the left sidebar,
        > and then click on the option to write using "Rich Text Editor," you will
        > find that it is intuitively easy to write a post with a clickable link.
        > I wish it were easier to insert pictures into the posts, but there is
        > the photo album in the left sidebar for anyone's use.
        >
        > Looking forward to an interesting 2010.
        >
        > Stan

      • charles bruns
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2010
          hear.hear!!!  Vince and Susan are definately two driving wheels.   chb