re: current issue: Vol 13, # 85 of Ancient American Magazine

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2009
      All,
      As I have since its beginnings, a number of you here are subscirbers of Ancient American Magazine. Member Joe White  recently posted some fine comments about the courageous, high quality quarterly journal, and publisher Wayne May occasionally reads some of your posts at this site.

      As with many publications, Ancient American is currently undergoing a financial strain, is now published quarterly and has an option for a lower cost on-line subscription.  Along with my subscriptions renewal last week, Wayne generously sent three extra copies of the latest issue.  Those he sent last  year I mailed to the first dozen or so AWS members who wrote to the AWS site.  I will do the same with the three current copies but ask first that those who request not have read an issue of the magazine and that you please pass it on. (Very likely Wayne will send or email a complimentary issue to any of you who write him directly): Wayne@...

      Regarding the current issue...several weeks ago when assisting member Jim Scherz in Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula near Copper Harbor with one of the ancient sites shown on the History Channel documentary about Scott Wolter's Hooked X book (click past the ad to this YouTube):  http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomonthly/studiotracks_holy_grail_in_america.html

      I'd mentioned to this group that we happened upon Washington State researcher/author, Jay Wakefield atop one of the remote petroglyph cliff sites we were surveying.  Jay recently mailed me a newly released book he co-authored with Dr. Reinoud DeJonge, of the Netherlands: Rocks and Rows-Sailing Routes across the Atlantic and the Copper Trade, available for purchase through the Ancient Aartifact Preservation Society.

      Jay showed Dr. Scherz and myself a photo of an apparently far more ancient petroglyph depicting an enormous hand taken at another roadless site within half a mile.  (AWS member Robert Wheeler is also well familiar with the site, which includes other anomalous glyphs).  Daylight waning and snow in the forecast, we (unfortunately) opted not to take the difficult rocky, roadless trek to the ancient Lake Superior site.  It was my delight when Wayne's four copies of Ancienn American arrived last week to find Jay's ancient giant hand photo acriss the entire cover of the current issue. Articles within the current issue: Vol 13, # 85 of Ancient American Magazine:

      Features
      1. Were the Copper Miners of Michigan Giants? (Jay S. Wakeield)
      2. The  Bell Beaker Culture in Central Europe (Wikipedia: Edited by Patrick Chouinard
      3. Rock Art Degradation at the Four Corners (Jim A. Nosker)
      4. Poverty Point: Bronze Age Town on the Coopper Trail (Jay S. Wakefield)

      News
      1.   Cahokia: Lethal Bite to Cahokia's Populaton (Jim Robertson)
      2.   Indian Burials Discovered, Ohio (Jame Beathard)
      3.   From Jews in America (Ray Pennington)
      4.   Tribe Buys Indian Mound in St. Louis (Assoc. Press 2009)
      4.   Light on the Aagard Lamp (Charles F. Herberger, Ph.D)
      5.   Whence Came this Maze? (Jeffrey Goss, Jr.)
      6.   Interpretation of Alleged Minoan Pendant (John J. White, III)

      Columns

      1.   Freemasonry and Native American Trditions (W. Bro. Dennis V. Chornenky)

      2.   Indian Chief Chickasawba (St. Johns Daily News)
      3.   Bones of a Departed Race (Huron Expositor Newspaper)
      4.   Broad Swords and Bayonets (Robert B. Carroon)

      Host William Smith of the THOR group is Instant Messaging me for the first time and I shall reply.  The THOR group site is:

      Thanks to the group for all of your posts.  Happy New Year!

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2009
        Can someone scan that petroglyph on the cover and share it on this site?
        Enjoy the Blue Moon, if you can see it.
        ted

        On Dec 30, 2009, at 9:29 PM, Susan wrote:

        All,
        As I have since its beginnings, a number of you here are subscirbers of Ancient American Magazine. Member Joe White  recently posted some fine comments about the courageous, high quality quarterly journal, and publisher Wayne May occasionally reads some of your posts at this site.

        As with many publications, Ancient American is currently undergoing a financial strain, is now published quarterly and has an option for a lower cost on-line subscription.  Along with my subscriptions renewal last week, Wayne generously sent three extra copies of the latest issue.  Those he sent last  year I mailed to the first dozen or so AWS members who wrote to the AWS site.  I will do the same with the three current copies but ask first that those who request not have read an issue of the magazine and that you please pass it on. (Very likely Wayne will send or email a complimentary issue to any of you who write him directly): Wayne@ancientameric a.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 30, 2009

          Thanks about the Blue Moon, Ted.  I don't have a scanner but perhaps Wayne May will put the current cover on their web site in the near future.  Presently the photo for Issue # 83 is shown.

          I will include my personal copy of Ancient American in the next loaner box as soon as I put one or two together for distributing to members to pass to each other.  Voluntary redistribution efforts, whether small or larger, fared well within families and ancient 'economies'.  Sure seems to bring me a lot here.

          Before closing...William Smith emailed back a few comments which apply to this group and lets us know what he and the THOR research group are doing.  A number of Ancient Waterways members are also part of the THOR group research team.  Two of William's emails, in part:

            Susan...  You can post any information in the THOR group or emails I send you. We will be going to Newport this spring to complete the final filming and completing the CD.
          best regards, William

           As always so good to hear from you....
           I tune in to your group to read new messages and find it very interesting. Vince does a fine job even though he is busy in the oil fields. I will try to attach a three dimensional program of the Newport Tower. The final product will be in CD format with many user friendly tools for the reader. It will also include all the findings the THOR group has found that will provide a new vision to this structure.
           http://www.photospherix.com/flash_client.asp?id=np_0000_out
           After the program loads use your cursor to rotate the tower. It opens looking south at the north column. The final product will have 72 tick points for detail information about the structure.
          best regards
          William

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17 8:51 AM

            All,
            I have subscribed to Ancient American Magazine since its beginnings, now issued quarterly.  Earlier this month I received an extra issue, thus have an extra copy which I will send to any one of you who has never seen an issue before.  First member who email me, I will ask for your mailing address and you may keep the copy.

            I also have most issues of the publication, and if anyone borrow one more issues and is borrowing books or DVD's from our loaner list, let me know which volumes & issues so I can include them in the package of loaner publications being mailed to you, without charge.  Here again is Post #2023,  Loaner Books & DVD's: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ancient_waterways_society/message/2023

            Many of these books and tapes are available at public libraries, interlibrary loan, or can be bought used for even less money than the postage fees from Amazon and other sites.  A few  I have listed are diffucult to find.

            I have one addition to the list:  Ships and Seafaring in ancient times by Lionet Casson, former professor New York Univ. (1994) 160pp

            Here is a list of articles/authors from the latest copy of Ancient American Magazine, Vol 15, Issue #90  that I have one complimentary copy of.  (Cover)-- Photo of Cherokee Paint Clan: Mask of Life and Death  www.ancientamerican.com   Ssubmission Guidelines  of articles , photos, drawings are listed within. Or contact publisher/ or editors.

            Features

            "The Lennape Epic".... Myron Paine, PhD
            "The Cherokee Medicine Wheel" ... Ray (Seeker) Pennington, Cherokee Historian
            "Newport Tower:Another Viewpoint" .... William Smith
            "Israelite East M'nashe Traced to the Four Corners" .... Maggid ben Yoseif
            "Cherokee Clans: An Informal History" .... Donald Panther-Yates, PhD
            "The Big Canadian Knife (Sword?)" .... Don Spohn, PhD (includes four full page color plates of Long Blades)
            "New Year's Measurements of Different Energy Radiations in Underground Labyrinth "RAVINE' ... by Sam Semir Osmanagich, PhD

            News
            Radio Carbon Dating for Brewers Cave, Manti Area ... Stevens E. Jones
            First Americans Reached Europe Five Centuiries Before Columbus Discovered the New World
            New Dating Technique by Michigan Technological University
            Letters to the Ediktor
            Dying Man wants Ohio Historical Society to Return Artifact .... Alan Johnson
            The Prehistoric Treasure in the Fields of Indiana ... Micah Schweizer
            Cretan Tools point to 130,000-year-old Sea Travel
            Mosely, Past President of MES, Obituary
            Book Review: The Forbidden Archaeologist [by member Larry Gallant]
            Bosnian Pyramid: Underground Radiation Measures

            Columns
            Reed Boats at Burrows Cave .... John J. White, III, PhD
            The Bowl of La Plaz, Bolivia ....
            Giants in the News, 1882, 1887, and 1935
            New Book Release article by Metis Author, Martin Carriere: CARRYIING THE CHASICE FORWARD and OTHER SECRET STORIES of NORTH AMERICA

            typographical errors  mine,