Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: Wilmington Ohio Relics update

    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 5, 2009
      Chris,
      it's a good question. Depicted in John White's volume at the end of the other Jamestown Virginia drawings was a set of "Picts", meaning Pictish. They were added, Possibly by le moyne.
      Even though they were Pictish I have noticed a similarity to the object at the spear with the "bannerstone".

      Vince

      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 9, 2009
        imho... perhaps the similarities behest Old World contact with Nat. Amn's?  What if the style was brought back to the Scottish side as a graceful, yet pragmatic fashion just as i now cook regularly with chopsticks in my own kitchen, enjoy wearing Mu-mu's to relax, drive a car with an American trademark but Asian parts, and like to read up on Chinese IChing to compare philosophy. When we find something fresh, new and 'neat', we as humans tend to find our own way to use it in our own context. What if the engravings were included to show that there were definite, perhaps even surprising parallels between what was known in Scotland and this new land?
        -c
> [...]

        > drawing in earlier times have been the
        >  "bannerstone" . From 1915, Grinnell stated in
        > Blackfeet Indian Storiesindicate the lock of buffalo hair
        > was attached to a butterfly shaped object that was set atop
        > the lodge poles, as follows:
        > > "At the back of the lodge, high up, just below
        > the place where the lodge poles cross, was often a large
        > round disk representing the sun, and above that a cross,
        > which was the sign of the butterfly, the power that they
        > believe brings sleep. From the ends of the wings, or tied to
        > the tips of the poles which supported them, hung buffalo
        > tails, and sometimes running down from one of these poles to
        > the ground near the door was a string of the sheaths of
        > buffalo hooflets, which rattled as it swung to and fro in
        > the breeze."
        > >
        > > Similar set-up is shown on the Wilmington, Ohio

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            ancient_waterways_society-digest@yahoogroups.com
            ancient_waterways_society-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • v_barrows
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 9, 2014
          Here is an article that shows the actual Welch Butterfly bannerstone photographed. Just learned from this article that the slate bannerstone was made of purplish color slate and is in the ohio historical museum.https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/1811/56002/OHIO_ARCHAEOLOGIST_11_2_APRIL_1961.pdf?sequence=1
        • trayloroo
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 10, 2014

            GREAT .... enjoyed it ....  After the Burrows Cave experience, are we still certain this purple stone is a fake, page 64.

            CAL

          • v_barrows
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 10, 2014
              IMO, it's real as the the four winds. Very rare and important too. Dr. Hill of Concinatti and Warren Moorehead also agreed that it is authentic.
            • v_barrows
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 10, 2014
                Here is a link to photobucket showing more photos of the welch butterfly and Richardson tablet:http://s243.photobucket.com/user/Marburg72/library/KOREA/Dads_retirement_party/PETROGLYPHS/Wilmington
              • wmsmithrock1
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 10, 2014

                  Thanks for the link Vince. What is your opinion on the Welch butterfly symbols? and the 20 boxes shown in The Richardson tablets?

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 10, 2014
                    William
                    I'm not qualified to translate it, since I'm just an engineer. However I saw some similarities to Mayan glyphs which are visibly evident. This was summarized in the white paper that I sent you after the Wilmington conference 2008.
                    Respectfully
                    Vince

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 13, 2014
                      Atlatl hunting as "stealth" technology
                      >   http://www.hollowtop.com/spt_html/atlstealth.htm   <

                      One of my favorite pages to return to off-n-on.
                      -cp

                      On Friday, January 10, 2014 7:22 AM, "v_barrows@..." <v_barrows@...> wrote:

                      Here is a link to photobucket showing more photos of the welch butterfly and Richardson tablet:http://s243.photobucket.com/user/Marburg72/library/KOREA/Dads_retirement_party/PETROGLYPHS/Wilmington

                    • Karla Akins
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 13, 2014
                        It certainly appears authentic. Can you point me to information regarding the inscription? Is there an interpretation? And are you of the opinion they are Welsh--because it seems oriental to me somehow.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 13, 2014
                          Here is a link to some information on the inscription: http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/arqueologia/monks_mound05.htmIt's not Welch, just found by someone with that last name. Yes, I concur that it appears to have some similarity to Asian symbolism such as the yin-yang in the center. Still, I think it is Native American origin.