The Spider Gorget on the Front of the Museum of the Cherokee Indian

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 2009
      Vince, All,

      I hope some of you who reside in Georgia or are familiar with the issues raised in the excellent Richard Thorton article, "UNDERSTANDING OCMULGEE,  CAHOKIA AND ORTONA"  in the People of One Fire News will comment.  His critque of 'most of the archaeological profession' re: their ignorance of the importance of Ocmulgee to the cultural development of Southeast's indigenous peoples'  really caught my attention, especially with the Ocumulgee in Florida and Georgia well prior to the establishement of Cahokia. (Vince, the author being an expert on the architecture of the ancient indigineous cultures of Mexico and Central America * really gives you another fine link between those regions and the North American moundbuilders).

      Having a spider phobia, Vince's second Post brought me to search for a photo.  The six foot logo of the Spider Gorget in NC is shown, bottom of Page 2 of the article also from People of One Fire:

      "Unknown Holstonia: Southwest Virginia Before the Settling of Jamestown",

      by Jim Glanville, Retired Chemist and Independent Scholar (Paper read at the Second Virginia Forum on History, Library of Virginia, Richmond. April 14, 2007) © Jim Glanville, 2007 and 2009. All rights reserved.http://www.holstonia.com/files/Richmond2007.pdf

      Likely I will send the article to the professor in Virginia, Sean Heuvel,  mentioned in one of our posts a couple of weeks ago.  I do not see any articles within his seeminglyh newly created Tidewater Historian site which pre-dates the settling of Jamestown.  I hope the fair-minded professor investigates and/or includes this article which places cultured Native American societies w/extensive trade networks within Holsten River valleys long before Europeans arrived.

      Interesting also are five factors Glanville suggests after asking, "How did such a culture get missed?"  A good question to extend throughout all of our regional histories, my city on the ancient Wisconsin River included....

      MSE