Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Welcome new members; you-tube about ancient Megalodon sharks

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21 5:50 PM
      Yes'm Susan!
      I grew up directly in Missoula,MT. My father taught me the interesting geology there abouts. As a lassie i hiked the local mountains and thought it 'normal' about mountains, then, to all have deep ridges imbedded into the soil like giant corduroy. It made climbing the slopes almost step-like, with ridges along the hot, grassy slopes placed at 3-foot to 4 foot intervals. Once you worked two hours to hike to the top of a given rise, it was, for young legs still half-made of rubber, to leap mt.goaty gallumps and be down at the bottom in less than 20 minutes.

      It wasn't until Dad explained why all those latitude lines marked our hillsides that i could sit on top of Mt.Jumbo or Elk Ridge and imagine the wide waters i'd need a boat to cross to get to Waterworks hill, if it was even above water.

      Thank you for the nostalgic trip down memory lane. It brings back the hot, dusty sun on a bare, browned head, sitting among the herby-fragrant Arrowleaf Balsamroots, poking at elk tracks, and munching on wild rhubarb; looking out across the 'Saddle', grasshoppers churring, and wondering how the Pines all came back when the water was such a Wipeout every few centuries.

      Still a marvel to think of how Nature recovers, given a chance.
      -c