Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: More petroglyphs

  • Marmot
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2009
      Hi Susan,
      Most of the rock art photos I have are from hikes in the Moab UT area
      where the Colorado river was the only waterway which isn't really a
      navigable river unless one is doing white water so I'm not sure how
      applicable they are. The photo attached to my profile is one I got
      online, it's of an owl in the Moab area, there are few representations
      of owls due to their symbolism, I've never been to that site. The
      Columbia river once had extensive petroglyph panels in many places but
      most are now submerged in the waters behind the dams. For the most part
      the Columbia river in the US is a series of reservoirs. In a few cases
      examples of the petroglyphs were removed and put in museums or small
      parks next to the dams. I suppose a search might come up with some
      websites that have old photos. The book Native River: The Columbia
      Remembered: Priest Rapids to the International Boundary by William D.
      Layman has photos of some of the submerged panels plus lots of photos
      from back in the days when the Columbia was wild. This site has some
      photos of still visible glyphs.
      http://www.marysvillepictographproject.com/columbiariverart.html
      And there is this book.
      http://tinyurl.com/yk48nyf
      The few examples of painted panels I have seen in my area are greatly faded.
      I have a few photos here but only a couple of petroglyphs.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyeshkah/
      Marti