Re: More petroglyphs

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 15, 2009
      Hello Marti,

      I did not see your Message come in and it is so fine to hear from you in
      the North Central Washington ancient waterways area of the continent. I
      was sad to see the wonderful Photographs surrounding your travels and
      place where you live disappear

      when YahooGroups changed the Yahoo Profiles. I wonder if there is a way
      for you to re-list those on your Profile page or as a link to this
      group. I recall they were very beautiful, educational, and seemed to
      show the fullness of your life and relationship with Nature. I am
      curious as to what looks like a photo of a rock structure on our Profile
      page....

      Thank you for sending the link on the Peterborough petroglyphs, too.
      I've not been there but wonder if others here have.

      Susan

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Marmot
      <marmot.wiyaka@...> wrote:

      > My apologies if these have already been mentioned.
      > These are in Ontario Canada. What is interesting is they are on an
      > easily erodible rock, the first peoples would cover them up to
      preserve
      > them, now they are enclosed in a climate controlled building. When I
      was
      > there in mid March the building was still closed for the winter but it
      > was fun hiking around the park over the snow, a beautiful place.
      > http://www.sacred-destinations.com/canada/peterborough-petroglyphs.htm
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroglyphs_Provincial_Park
      >
      > If you are in the neighborhood the canoe museum in Peterborough is
      very
      > much worth a visit.
      > http://www.canoemuseum.ca/
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Canoe_Museum
      >
      > Marti

    • Marmot
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2009
        Hi Susan,
        Most of the rock art photos I have are from hikes in the Moab UT area
        where the Colorado river was the only waterway which isn't really a
        navigable river unless one is doing white water so I'm not sure how
        applicable they are. The photo attached to my profile is one I got
        online, it's of an owl in the Moab area, there are few representations
        of owls due to their symbolism, I've never been to that site. The
        Columbia river once had extensive petroglyph panels in many places but
        most are now submerged in the waters behind the dams. For the most part
        the Columbia river in the US is a series of reservoirs. In a few cases
        examples of the petroglyphs were removed and put in museums or small
        parks next to the dams. I suppose a search might come up with some
        websites that have old photos. The book Native River: The Columbia
        Remembered: Priest Rapids to the International Boundary by William D.
        Layman has photos of some of the submerged panels plus lots of photos
        from back in the days when the Columbia was wild. This site has some
        photos of still visible glyphs.
        http://www.marysvillepictographproject.com/columbiariverart.html
        And there is this book.
        http://tinyurl.com/yk48nyf
        The few examples of painted panels I have seen in my area are greatly faded.
        I have a few photos here but only a couple of petroglyphs.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyeshkah/
        Marti