Re: Welcome another new member, & link to Newark Earthworks Day 10/17

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 14, 2009
      Ross, and All,

      I am ever moved by the time, thoughtfulness and detail you put into your posts, and your encouragement in the efforts  of other members.  I know you are not long from having spent months critically ill, and recovering. Thank you, as a relative newcomer for your outreach here,  for Tuesday's post on the early history,  partial timeline and keen insights and research on the Newark Earthworks in Ohio,  I too appreciate the fine updates on your work and group efforts, Joe.   Thank you for recommending Ancient Waterways Society to Christine.  We are glad to have her among our membership.

      A post Ted sent mentioned the following;  here are details on the Newark Earthworks Day coming up next weekend,  Saturday, October 17th and Walk With the Ancients:   http://newark.osu.edu/earthworks/Pages/NED.aspx

      The Megalithic Portal newsletter (Andy,  UK) http://www.megalithic.co.uk/
      Members here sharing personal areas of research and experience do so with such open-mindedness and heart, I apologize for not being very knowledgeable about many of the early histories, cultures, and ancient sites mentioned to be able to comment on the content.  Many posts reflect considerable time, thoughtfulness, brilliant data and insights, and  I appreciate your postings, even if no direct responses follow. My intercommunications here are informational, greeting newcomers, or making web site suggestions, none of which call for replies.  But please feel free to make suggestions, online or off.

      Those uncomfortable responding or posting publicly may do so personally by way of individual emails, and many do so already.  For newcomers: when using email addresses from our Members  link (which only members can access),  Scan/Paste the email addresses and move it to your personal E-Mail account. Otherwise, private letters to members become public on the site.  Stan, Vince, and I have had to remove a few unintended messages that were meant to be sent privately to a member.

      My appreciation to Laura and new member Christine (Louise) for your enthusiasm and candor in introducing yourselves to the group,  Another new member joined today.  Welcome povinstitutethank you for finding interest in our intercommunications here and signing on.

      The other co-host besides myself is Vince Barrows of New Orleans, back online tonight after extensive travels this month.  On the phone this evening Vince said he has been trying to catch up with archived Atlantic Conference presentations from last weekend.  More than a few folks missed Vince in the Atlantic Conference/Oopa Loopa Cafe chat rooms. Thanks for sending the link to the dozens of photos of inscriptions in your slideshow. After returning from farm work in a field with two inches of snow all afternoon, then detouring from my driveway to run on a Red Cross fire call,  Vince's handless, self-advancing slideshow while fixing a 10PM dinner was most weldcome.

      One compliment to you all.  With a group of this size, I applaud you highly for polite, mutual respect, open-mindedness, helpfulness to each other, and lack of competitiveness or arrogance that I have observed othewise in other groups.  Similar inconsiderations have shut down public forums and web sites in the past.  Ancient American forum, the Great Pyramid of Gize, and other excellent message boards had to be closed beecause of an unrelenting few.

       Susan

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 21, 2009
        Vince,
        i'm waay behind again on catching threads.
        Just checked out this link.
        About 10 or 12 slides in , there was a grey-ish toned shot of a rockface showing three images close together like lollipops. Where is that? Part of what site? Any hints or guesses at age? I have a going theory about such shapes that i have three solid examples of and this may be a fourth. One example comes from Bolivian pottery. Another from TEP site in CA. Another is at Garrison's 'Centipede Shelter' in TX. It may relate directly to sightings, measurements or ceremonies surrounding Orion. But i need to know or 'see' by virtual photo if possible, the context in which those three 'lollipop' shapes rest. What direction they face. What direction a person looking at them is facing. et al. Is that a photobucket link of a friend or one of your own?
        Many thanx for any crumbs dropped my way.
        -c

> [...]

        > > > able to tell us more as to upcoming speakers, dates, participation
        > > > groups, etc. And, again, it will be free. How often does such an
        > > > opportunity come along, especially an international
        > > > AtlanticConference.org so beautifully in alignment with some of the
        > > > founding principles of this globally-oriented ancient navigation and
        > > > ancient waterways web group.
        > > >
        > > > To be kept updated on weekly Rick's two hour Oopa Loopa Cafe radio
        > > > interviews and Atlantic Conference dialogue, click into the Oopa Loopa
        > > > YahooGroup, which looks as though all of the members there are also
        > > > members of Ancient Waterways:
        > > >
        > > > One more item here: a 1 1/2 minute videoclip from Rick Osmon's
        > > Atlantic
        > > > Conference Biography explains specifics about the newly forming C.O.P.
        > > > S. (Coalition for PreColumbian Studies) association, which some of you

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:ancient_waterways_society-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:ancient_waterways_society-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 21, 2009
          Dear Chris;
          Thanks for your excellent response. I assume you are asking about the images here:
          http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/Marburg72/Piney%20Creek%20Ravine/?action=view&current=Graphic9.jpg

          Those glyphs are located at Fountain Bluff, in southern Illinois.
          Specifically, they are at Latitude and Longitude:
          Full-screen
          37.669945,-89.511945
          The site with these glyphs has a giant rock shaped like a turtle, and it has two eyes, and an entrance with 11 tooth carvings.
          Noticed another website had a bit of information about them
          http://www.naturealmanac.com/archive/solstice_second/solstice_second.html

          Best regards;

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ancient_ waterways_ society/join

              ancient_waterways_ society-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

              http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 22, 2009

            Vince, a sprin-off from your last link bottom of the post is Fountain Bluff in W. Jackson Co, Ill.  w/solar observatory, more petroglyphs, archaeo-accoustics etc. :   http://www.naturealmanac.com/archive/a_a/anc_a.html

            Just a suggestion here, but what might be most helpful at a web group such as ours is that when inserting links to such things as petroglyhps, ancient and sacred sites that we name nearby or interconnecting rivers, lakes, seas.  And, particularly helpful would be former waterways as evidenced by old shorelines, old and present day water level marks, geological reports, etc.

            Interesting to hear about your Missoula influences, Chris.  My sister and I skiied near there when she was on the downhill racing circuit.   Marti from Washington State had sent me the interesting Nova link, which I emailed Nova to see if there are plans to show it again on TV.

            Marti, I appreciated your re-sending your slides which used to be within your Yahoo Profile.  I shall look for some of those places if and when I am ever in those areas of the West and Northwest.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyeshkah/

            Besides the striking beauty of the wilderness landscape,  I appreciated the 'Homeland Security' slide.  And wondered if a Barter Fair is the same as a Flea Market where I barter, but mostly sell and dickering in Northwoods Wisconsin and "thousand lakes" Minnesota fishing resort towns during warm weather months.

            Hopefully some of you will put links such as Marti's photos, Chris' Equinox Project or articles, Vinces' Histiography of Cahokia link under your signatures.....to further interconnect yourselves  at this site and other groups.  Or,  into your Yahoo Profile.  YahooGroups changed their format a couple of years ago which deleted  Profile information of millions of Yahoo members, and I find da very poorly formatted replacement.  Links within Profiles have to be scanned and pasted rather than clicked into.

            Just received an email from AAPS Secretary, Judy Johnson who sent a link to a petroglyph in the 'Thumb' region of Lower Michigan along the north branch of the Cass River:  http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0,1607,7-160-17447_18595_18612-54563--,00.html

            mse

            --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows <v_barrows@...> wrote:

            > Dear Chris;
            > Thanks for your excellent response. I assume you are asking about the images here:
            > http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/Marburg72/Piney%20Creek%20Ravine/?action=view&current=Graphic9.jpg
            >
            > Those glyphs are located at Fountain Bluff, in southern Illinois.
            > Specifically, they are at Latitude and Longitude:
            > Full-screen37.669945,-89.511945The site with these glyphs has a giant rock shaped like a turtle, and it has two eyes, and an entrance with 11 tooth carvings.
            > Noticed another website had a bit of information about them
            > http://www.naturealmanac.com/archive/solstice_second/solstice_second.html
            >
            > Best regards;
            > Vince

          • Marmot
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
              I added a set of Petro photos, nearly all are in the Moab Utah area, it
              seems when ever you look at a rock face with desert varnish on it there
              is some sort of rock art. All are very easy to get to with the exception
              of the Arches National Park petros which is a hike of several miles and
              then some off trail exploring. The park service won't tell you where
              they are. At the base of those panels are lots of chipped rock from the
              first people working their tools.
              I will remove the Birthing Rock photos soon. Due to other sites in the
              immediate area and experiences I and others have had there it feels like
              an active sacred site.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyeshkah/sets/72157622645143612/detail/
              Marti

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
              • 1 Attachment
              • 116 KB
              Oh shoot. They're a cluster. More'n three. Blows my hope of spotting another bit of evidence to bolster my growing theory. Will have to keep my eyes open for other occurences in patterns. Looking for Lolipop-type shapes connected in threes by loops, almost like Pawn Shop balls. Actually with or without stems, but linked above or below with arcs.
              See attached photo qm172 from our TEP website
              >   http://equinox-project.com/qma172.htm   <
              If anyone sees or knows of such inscription or pictograph elements,
              i'd be happy to get the flagdown as i whiz by.

              Message 7 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
                One small comment, if it makes any sense or connection at all...
                viewing the one pix of the horned shaman-Spirit
                >   http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyeshkah/4037199350/in/set-72157622645143612/   <
                It occurs to me that the Devangari (Sanskrit) numeral for the
                number 4 is a circle with a half-loop on top, like horns.
                4 is generically a Sacred number amongst Nat.Amns. Total balance of all directions etc...
                Whether that has anything to do with the pix, a thot, perhaps.
                -c