Fwd: [ancient_waterways_society] Nanih Waiya

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2009

      Dear Simon.

      Oxford Junction Mound

      Thanks for your reply about the ancient native mound.   I always say they wouldn't grind up the Stonehenge for gravel in England, but here in the states, I would not bet on it.

      Only lands with federal dollars budgeted for road work, bridges, and pipeline, require a survey, and afford the protection of the NAGPRA Act.  ( Native American Graves Protection and Restoration Act)

      The law was strengthened by the outgoing President Clinton in the last few days of his administration.  There are tons of bones still stacked in boxes on shelves of countless small and large museums.

      Not only should these be repatriated with an apology given to the descendants, but should be done promptly.  Several major museums including the Smithsonian have begun this process.

      In the case of the Kennewick Man, once thought to look like the English actor Patrick Stewart in a reconstruction, is back in the hands of those who wish to do more study.  I know it is of great scientific interest to determine his DNA origins, but he too should find rest.

      A native friend says to disturb the Earth around a grave is to disturb the spirit in whatever heaven you believe in.   One man's religion is another man's superstition.

      Thanks for your comments and sharing of information.

      Sorry I have lost the video link to this site on the mound in discussion.

      Ted Sojka
      Native Earthworks Preservation/Iowa

      Bob Riley, the Governor of the State of Alabama, can be reached here.http://governor. alabama.gov/ contact/contact_ form.aspx

      A directory of people that can be contacted at the Alabama Historical Commission is here. http://preserveala. org/staffdirecto ry.aspx