Cherokee & Semitic Ogam

  • joe white
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2009
      O'siyo Brothers, and Sisters,

      For your Information.

      It is a part of the Cherokee Historical Record that we used a symbol
      to mark the trails on the trees to point to the end of the destination.
      Marking the Trail itself.

      Whiteman called it a turkey track.

      In actuality it is the (tau) in Semitic Ogam.  We have had some reports
      of Cherokee visiting our museum that has seen these symbols, and
      stories in the oral family history of remembering them.

      Alpha-begining   Omega-end
      Alpha-begining     Tau-end

      This ancient symbol has been used up to recent times.
      We have seen some artifacts with this (tau) that came
      from Cherokee Indian Territory here in middle Tennessee
      and northern Alabama.

      Gah gey you e,

      Sitting Owl

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 14, 2009
          13th cent BCE the "turkeytrack" mark was Kaph in Proto-Canaanite. By 1000 BCE the Phoenicians were also using it for Kaph. In that mode, it represents the hollow of the hand, or palm. Gematric values of 20 as one symbol, 500 as the 'terminal'.  However, from 40,000BP Australia to many inscriptions being found in the Great Basin semitics, it is also used as Chet, meaning "fence" (border, boundary) likely a territorial marker; with the gematric value of 8.

          -chris

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 14, 2009
            Very interesting.  Why are the Cherokee still using it today?