Re: serpent mound

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2009

      Welcome new member, Zach!  Please feel free to post, introduce yourself when comfortable.

      Ross, I am overwhelmed with your generosity in letting our group have access to your ebook:

      "The Holocaust of Giants and The Great Smithsonian Cover-Over...What Has Happened to the Skeletons?"

      I am on the road the past week or two, stopped home to reload the car and am at a library having the article printed to take with me to the Peoples Festival in the Lake Superior/Keweenaw Peninsula.  I've not read it yet but thumbing through, delving far back into antiquity is right up my alley.  I can see already that I not only will  order your book, but will need to do a tour of the Serpent Mound, hopefully before winter.

      More later...am almost timed-out here at the library.   Not sure if/when I can get computer access near Eagle Harbor, Michigan, so I hope you all keep an eye on the site (Vince, Stan can remove Spammer messages), but hopefully newcomers get greeted and members posted acknowledged.

      Thank you for your fine messages, too..

      Susan

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Ross Hamilton <d.ross.hamilton@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >

      > > There are a couple other "intaglio" designs that I know of that are
      > > incised into the ground rather than mounded up. One is a lightning bolt
      > > shape that is in Western Kansas, and I think there is one other in Wisconsin
      > > but cannot remember what the effigy portrays.
      > >
      > > I think Scherz did the surveying of that site that was mentioned in the
      > > Frank Joseph book on Rock Lake.
      > >
      > > The site in Ohio is a massive mound though it was plowed over and is said
      > > to have been partially rebuilt at some point after it was bought by the
      > > Peabody Museum folks who did the early work on the site. It was given then
      > > to the Ohio Historic Society at some point. I cannot believe they are
      > > closing the museum due to budget cuts, but that is the way of the world at
      > > the moment.
      > >
      > > Next they will be selling off the Stone Henge bit by bit.
      > >
      > > Ted
      > >
      > > The site is so complicated and all the complications to diving and
      > > photography beg for someone to side scan radar the images on the bottom.
      > > Jeff Bennett does this who is a member of the group. We will have to put
      > > it on his list to investigate for the future.
      > >

      > > On Jul 28, 2009, at 9:49 PM, Steven Steigerwald wrote:
      > >
      > > Ted,
      > > I have a map of it on our website at:
      > > http://www.orgsites.com/wi/aztalan/_pgg4.php3
      > > The map was done by Jim Scherz.
      > > It is still there as it has never been plowed (I assume) being a island in
      > > a wetland. I guess it was not a island before the lake was dammed. The
      > > effigy is dug out not mounded up. There used to be a very large tree on the
      > > island with a eagles nest many years ago (maybe where its name came from). I
      > > walked over on the ice to it when there was very little snow cover. A local
      > > friend who knew how to get there led the way. The DNR about 10 years ago saw
      > > smoke coming from the island and went over there a just missed some people
      > > digging on the island.
      > > Steve Steigerwald
      > > ------------------------------
      > > From: tedsojka@...
      > > To: aztalan2008@...
      > > Subject: Re: serpent mound
      > > Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:10:50 -0500
      > >

      > > On Jul 28, 2009, at 12:07 AM, Steven Steigerwald wrote:
      > >
      > > Ted,
      > > No I have not seen for myself, but I have been on Eagle Island and seen the
      > > large serpent mound.
      > > We should work with the Native Americans and get the Princess returned to
      > > her mound at Aztalan.
      > > Steven Steigerwald
      > >

      > > Steve,
      > >
      > > It said in one of the books that this serpent mound is larger than the one
      > > in Ohio. The one in Ohio, I think, faces West to the setting Sun on the
      > > Shortest day of the year? The one by rock lake is facing East and aligns
      > > with another important day in the celestial year. From what you saw, how
      > > much of the mound is still there? I thought it was destroyed, or partially

    • Monette Bebow-Reinhard
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6, 2009

        I too am anxious to look at this book, Susan – thanks Ross!  I was looking at the Cyrus Thomas work on mounds for the Smithsonian and noted a few places where larger skeletons were mentioned.  I can imagine an occasional tall person could be an anomaly in any tribe, but has there been a cemetery or gravesite reported where everyone was taller than average?

        I’m also curious about the “world mystery college connection” that you mention here – is there a specific time frame you have in mind for this?  I worked on the Aztec connection to Chacoamerica for my Distinction in the Major in my undergrad degree, but trying to get scholars to listen to this has been tough.  When time periods line up, I think we have a case.  But they have to line up without any force or contrivance on our part.

        Monette

        Oconto Archaic Copper Museum

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2009
        Dear Monette (and Susan),

        Thank-you for your note.

        By our research, which is in its ninth year, we have found that the Eastern Woodland folks apparently had developed a genetic base in the seven foot stature. Just as our civilization has developed a strong genetic base in the six-foot stature and occasionally produces the 7 foot male, so the Ohio Valley (and later the entire country from coast to coast), occasionally produced the 7.5 and 8 foot tall man--with no acromegaly!. We also have found at least three instances of female skeletons that were at least seven feet in length. When a culture produces womenfolk of this height, we assume that it is well established among either the whole population or a special hierarchical group. It's the special group that seems to be the answer.

        Most of the grave evidences involving the tall people indicate what we term 'prefectural' responsibilities in life. They were the chieftains, military heads, and medicine workers. What's remarkable about this idea is that these duties were passed on inside family lineages, and so the tall stature often coincided with the ruling hierarchy until the two became integrated. Tall person=authoritative figure. Toward the end of the Woodland epoch which spanned nearly 2500 years, the tall people seemed to be living together more--as opposed to the Adena populace, which seemed to have assigned village heads from a central ruling family stock. These men may literally have a 'seminal' influence over their given villages, explaining how the unique Adena physicality, likely inherited from the Allegheny people, spread so quickly among the average Adena. BTW, the average Adena was considerably under six feet.

        There are notable exceptions in this arrangement of theory. For example, a lot of large skeletal remains were found in both the Kanawha River valley in WV, and also at the headwaters and length of the Muskingum in Ohio. large numbers of gigantic skeletons were found in several places in extreme northern Ohio, most of all perhaps at Conneaut in the north eastern edge of the state. I have accounts of all these if you are interested. In the meanwhile, I'm resending the Holocaust book with some changes in formatting and a few small errors corrected.

        I hope that answers your questions. Lesley and I will be at Serpent Mound Saturdays at least through Labor Day. Look forward to seeing you.

        Ross

        Message 4 of 9 , Sep 25, 2009
          It is midnight,  I will be heading out the door for Milwaukee but have a couple of minutes.
          With member Ross Hamilton scheduled as the guest speaker next Thursday night on
          the two hour Oopa Loopa Cafe BlogRadio program, here is a link to the first thirty pages of his book via Google.com Books.
          The Mysery of the Serpent Mound: In Search of the Alphabet of the Gods,  by Ross Hamilton:

          Vince had put in the above link last January in a post discussing the John Kelly Tablet:
          After reading exerpts from Ross' book and having heard him speak at the AAPS/THOR/Midwestern Epigraphic Society Conference that I assisted with in Wilmington, Ohio that October, I invited Ross to join this group.  Gravely ill at the time, Ross fortunately has recovered, actively back to at the Serpent Mound and related region.  I could not be more pleased that he is a member of Ancient Waterways Society besides so many other involvements.

          One of Ross' early Posts to this group, #1297 (berlow), he and Leslie extend a personal invitation to us to tour the Serpent Mound and Museum.  Bottom of the page he lists two web sites; the first appears under construction but the second has an excellent article and photomap showing The Arc of Appalachia Preserve Region & interrelated ecosystem:

          Very much looking forward to your Oopa Loopa Cafe interview next week, Ross...first day of October,and hope there will be plenty of people in the Chat Room.  Rick will probably have a newsletter out, but it doesn't hurt to post another notice at this site a week ahead:   http://www.blogtalkradio.com/oopa-loopa-cafe/2009/10/02/News-from-the-Great-Serpent-Mound

          Rick, busy as you were with last night's program and Marquette conference, thanks for
          putting in Judi Rudebusch's link last night.  Please keep it on the site under Photos
          because it is more accessible than the one I put in under Files .

          Well, off now to an area of the Old Milwaukee & Lake Michigan shoreline where I will receive additional Red Cross training as a member of the national healthcare team.  Many nurses are already volunteering around where the post-flooding areas of Tennessee and Gerogia are causing so many problems.
          Those at the AAPS conference this weekend that I could not attend, please up date us here.