Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Osage Nation buys mound

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5 5:17 AM
      The following is a letter about the Osage mound purchase being vandalized.

      A cry of outrage is the only way to describe my thoughts on this destruction.
      Vince Barrows

      Your Urgent help is needed!!

      As you have probably heard by now the Osage have purchased Sugar Loaf Mound. ( the last remaining Mound in St. Louis) (Yeah!!)  What you may not have heard is that Sat. the mound was dug into.

       Dr. Andrea Hunter, Tribal Historic Preservation Officer of the Osage has requested help from Lyle Sparkman President of MAS on detouring this activity. Unfortunately there is no Federal Protection for the site - yet.  Many avenues on protecting it are currently being pursued. Among having an increased Police presence and other things, one is to form a "Sugar Loaf Mound Watch Force" of volunteers to monitor the site. ( especially during night hours)
      I am personally coordinating this Watch effort for MAS.

      This is a non confrontational watch. Watchers will only report illegal Trespass and Vandalism. I will supply Watchers with the name and number of who to contact incase of problem. I have located a couple places where volunteers can watch from afar. I will also need some to take a walk-about at times.

      Volunteers Please Note:  If a situation does accure and proceeds to prosecution you may be called upon to testify.

       If you are able to volunteer to help watch the site please contact me ASAP. Let me know the times you would be able to be there. Even if it's just cruising by on your way to work and back it would be a big help. I need a lot of people to watch day and night.
      With my erratic schedule I will be dropping in and out at the site at various times.

      Important Reminder: The property does belong to the Osage and only those with special permission and a proper pass are allowed on the site - Anyone on the site without this "pass" will be in violation of Trespass. Watchers will be supplied with the proper papers.

      Please Note Lyle's Letter below:

      We ( I ) really need your help on this one.  After what they've done we can't let the Osage ( and ourselves) down on this!!
      My Good Friends from other Societies and Organizations -  Please pass this on to your trusted members.
      Sonja if I missed anyone please forward it.

      Please Help!!!!
      Thanks so much,
      Eric

      Excerpts from Lyle's letter.

      Dr. Andrea Hunter, the Osage Nation Tribal Historical Officer, is asking for our help in monitoring the Sugarloaf Mound.  The mound has already been vandalized (Saturday) since the publicity began about the purchase of the mound by the Osage .  To my memory, our Society has not been asked by an Indian Nation to help directly in this way and -as such- would be a new chapter in the Missouri Archaeological Society's involvement with the Osage, a tribe with deep Missouri roots.

      This is a volunteer project significantly aligned with our site preservation goals and a chance to get active in the preservation of a specific local site.  There is an urgency that some form of monitoring be started as soon as possible.

      I have asked Dr. Hunter whom she would want contacted if pot-hunting is detected, how, and in what order.  It is obvious that we cannot post a full-time guard rotation nor act as policemen, even if we had the will.  We can, however, ask willing members to be responsible on certain days to check the site.  It is not land-in-trust and has no Federal protections at this time. Random checks would be superior to the current situation when some people are wanting to dig before the Osage presence becomes more obvious.

      Eric Smith
      President
      Three Rivers Chapter
      Trustee