Semitic Ogam

  • joe white
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 24, 2009
      O'siyo Brothers, and sisters,

      I have seen that studies are currently accepting Semitic Ogam,
      as different from Celtic Ogam.

      Can these be positively identified, and seperated?
      Can we see the collection of Semitic Ogam, that has been found in the U. S.,
         and have any of these artifacts been dated?
      Is it possible to ask Scott Wolter to date some of these U. S., Semitic Ogam Artifacts?

      Gah gey you e,

      Sitting Owl
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11, 2009
        Mitakuye Oyasin, Joe,

        The only way i have been able to differentiate Semitic from Celtic ogham is to work out the letters and check which language the inscription is in. Sometimes the Celtic will be read left-to-right AND right-to-left with a different message, 2-in-one with the proper pre-thought to how to present it. But Semitic messages have only appeared to my interpretations right-to-left in Ogham. Also, sometimes the ogham spits out absolutely gibberish trying to apply Celtic vocbulary to it, in either direction. Then i pull out my Semitic lexicon and try that. If nothing appears, it can be
        A) i've not 'read' the letter spacing right (extremely easy and not uncommon to have to go back and rethink what i'm looking at)

        B) the Ogham has been used by a third language group, Native perhaps, and then i'm SOL cuz i dont have any good native dictionaries (yet, yet i keep promising myself)

        C) it aint ogham and i'm trying to pull language out of a solar/lunar calendar lineup.  The questor just did not take a picture with a gnomen casting a shadow, cuz then it makes the inscription hard to read vicariously by photo. Catch 22.  Without examples of what the panel goes thru on the auspicious days (equinox, solstice, crossquarters) for light and shadow, it's difficult to tell why it's even there in the first place. But with shadows crossing the rockface and cuts, identifying if it is even writing is hard without the best detail available.

        Have you got a set of marks you've got your eye on other than the portable artifacts we've been sliding around the table lately?

        Anpetu Luta Wi
        (chris)

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11, 2009
          O'siyo Chris,

          Yes, I took excellent impressions off of an american indian
          artifact, and sent them to Wayne May.  I am sure
          that he will share this info with you.  We could use
          your assistance.  The impressions made are much better
          than viewing the artifact itself.

          I sent the artifact to Scott Wolter for his examination.
          We hope that Scott can estimate the date it was carved.
          the artifact was found by Leslie Kalen.

          I am most pleased that people like you are aware of the
          Semitic Ogam.  Have you examined the bone needle that was
          dated 2300BC found in West Virginia?  Is it Semitic, or other?

          Much Wado for your interest,

          Sitting Owl

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 12, 2009
            Wayne or Scott, can you send a photo of this item to me?
            On Aug 12, 2009, at 4:38 PM, joe white wrote:

            O'siyo,

            A photo will not work.
            I sent the artifact to Scott Wolter.
            I sent the impressions of the Semitic Ogam to Wayne May.

            Hope that they can get you what you need.

            Gah gey you e,

            Sitting Owl