Petroglyphs

  • rjwheeler6
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2009
      Thank you, Susan for the introduction.
      The two recently posted photos were taken at my home, in my rock garden. They are on a sandstone outcrop which is mostly covered with a thin layer of soil. The possible Baal symbol is approximately 9 inches square with the middle "ray" about an inch wide and 3/4 inches deep. The "ray" on the right of the photo points north-south.
      These two petroglyphs are about 5 feet apart on raised, rounded stone that I think is part of the bedrock which is exposed to the north west for about 35 feet. There are other marks nearby(20 feet) and a possible rock mound(now tumbled down, approx. 50 feet) with deep, smooth grooves, of 3 to 6 inches long.
      I have also recently found(about 50 feet away) two hand held tools which appear to be pounder-scrappers.
      I have started a non-profit named "Copper Country Petroglyph Conservancy" to protect, identify and promote this site and possibly other ancient sites in this area.
      As Susan mentioned I am willing to show this site to interested people, just contact me.

      Bob Wheeler