Drum fish and Hopewell Drum Spheres

  • Vince
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2009
      Ancient Waterways Society Members;

      A little known fact is that Drum fish jaws, the part of the drum fish that actually makes a low drum sound, are lined with spheres.

      Also, Hopewell water drums were lined with spherical objects that were used to anchor the skins of a water drum head.

      Drumfish jaws and Hopewell drums can be seen at the following link:
      http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/Marburg72/Erb%20and%20Mathews%20collections/Pottery/Drumfish/

      Drum fish recordings can be heard here, specifically the 8th sound:
      http://www.hnsa.org/sound/jp/11730rb.htm

      Could it be that the in the mist and serenity of the ancient past, the Hopewell got the idea of Drumming from hearing these drumfish?

      Vince Barrows
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2009
        "The drumfish on our coast drums away in the water so loudly that you can hear him while you are walking on the shore. "
        http://encarta.msn.com/sidebar_761593519/discovery_and_invention.html

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009
          I have added a carved stone fish that was found in Indiana and a photo of a black drum. The carving also appears to be the drum fish.

          http://s243. photobucket. com/albums/ ff280/Marburg72/ Erb%20and% 20Mathews% 20collections/ Pottery/Drumfish /