July, '09 Houghton, MI AAPS Conf-Update.

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2009

      From Judy Johnson 630/09:

      judyspapergoods@...
      Important Copper Conference Data
      From:Judy's Paper Goods <judyspapergoods@...>
      To:judyspapergoods@...
      Date:Tue, Jun 30, 2009 9:53 am

      Attachment

      Conf.Registrations.doc

      Attachment

      Brief_Schedule_Conference_on_Ancient_Copper_July.doc

      Attachment

      CopperConfPoster.doc

      Dear Friends of AAPS,

      Some folks have been phoning with questions about day pricing and other details for our first Conference on Ancient Copper. Our initial registration had planned on auditorium presentations from afternoon to evening, with two separate fees-at-door.  That's CHANGED. We now have more excursion events and shorter stage presentations...just evening programs are scheduled now.

      Please see att. Word docs:
      1. Poster
      2. Brief schedule of events (directions and maps will be mailed to you upon receipt of your registration)
      3. Registration form (Incl. Copper Conf., Sept. Conf., Rydholm Memorial, and Membership)

      NOTE: Final schedule and MAPS will be mailed to Paid Registrants. We need your form with name, address, email, phone. (If you will have a cell phone with you, list that too, to aid organization.)

      NOTE 2: Our presenters need not pay registration fee, but we would like to send you the map packet...so you may reply with your mailing data/confirmation & cell phone # to add to our registered list. Thanks.

      We have nearly all we can handle for caravaning excursions. Too late to book a bus for a larger group.
      If you wish to participate, PHONE right away, then quickly mail your check/registration to confirm your spot.

      Because of urgings and questions by potential attendees, we now offer DAY PRICES @ just $25 per day, if you cannot participate in the entire event. Remember that this is not just a public service event, but a FUND-RAISER for AAPS with profits going toward purchase of the Monster Float Copper and 40 acres of land. We have rental expenses of the HS auditorium, advertising and printing.

      Hope to see you at our first exciting Conference on Ancient Copper. We may have some surprises for you too. Register for the full event, even if you have been to some of the locations. The experience will be better when shared with like minded people, who may well have added knowledge to share.

      Eager to See YOU at This New Event,
      Judy

      Judy M Johnson, Sec. AAPS
      (Prev. AAAPF)
      Ancient Artifact Preservation Society
      PO Box 216, Skandia MI 49885
      PS- I'm sometimes very slow in answering email.

      If you need me fast, please phone.
      ph 906-942-7865 or 810-229-5210

      * 5th Annual AAPS Conference on Ancient America
      Marquette Michigan, Sept 24-27th, 2009
      * Conf. on Ancient Copper, July 10-12, 2009, Houghton

      www.aaapf.org

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2009
        Several from this group will be attending part or all of the conference and field trips this weekend.  If anyone did not get this updated schedule, or anyone wants to join some of these events, here is Judy Johnson's last update:

        Copper Conference. final Schedule
        From:Judy's Paper Goods judyspapergoods@...
        To:judyspapergoods@...
        Date:Mon, Jul 6, 2009 1:58 pm
        Dear AAPS Copper Conference Attendees,

        IMPORTANT UPDATES

        This attachment...and pasted below...our detailed schedule, is as final as I can get it with last minute registrations, restaurant and tour notifications and all. Locations of our destinations are so spread out that covering all that area with print-out maps is too huge to email. However I will have some maps printed-out with me to hand out to each of the drivers on Friday morning. Meanwhile, I have written detailed driving instructions in this schedule.

        For the rest of it, it's very important that you STAY WITH THE GROUP, and MEET  IN THE MORNINGS ON TIME in order to be with the rest of us. If you need a variance of time, or don't want to drive to the Super 8 Motel in Houghton because of your own home base, then please catch up with us at the BREAKFAST LOCATIONS. Then we'll all be together either way.

        If you are trying to catch a little of this and a a little of that, then it's up to you to be at the right place at the right time, as we can't be waiting for any late-comers. We will stay on schedule.

        * Please note, there is a reduced fee of $12.50 at the Quincy Mine tour (Reg. $15) for those who have not paid the $65 full conference fee...Board and speakers...we request you cover that yourself, thanks. You who have paid the $65 fee, AAPS is paying Quincy for you.

        Realize that we have many talented, knowledgeable people with us who will be offering interesting information all along the way, so even if you have been to some of these place before, you will gain much by being with us all. To date, we have 23 registered for the tours. A couple will be doing partial bits, so it's a good sized group to be kept cohesive, but not so big as to be unwieldy....not too hard to stay together as we share rides. Looks like we can pull it off in just 7 vehicles. Glenn and I can seat 7 in our van. Anyone else who can add seats to their van or put folks in the back sear of your sedan, and drive, will be MUCH APPRECIATED. Let Judy know if you can. Call 906-942-7865 or 810299-5210

        Everything is lining up nicely. If you can, please print out the schedule.

        Conference on Ancient Copper July, 10-12, 2009, Houghton Michigan

        HOME BASE: Super 8 Motel, 1200 E. Lakeshore Dr. Houghton, MI 49931  (906) 482-2240

        6-30-09 UPDATED Schedule of Activities - Excursions are # ed, Meals = M

        STAY TOGETHER-STAY ON SCHEDULE!  BRING THIS PACKET WITH YOU!

        _Some Food Locations & Times have CHANGED since Earlier Mailings USE THIS ONE!

        Friday, July 10th

        M        7:45-8:45 - Breakfast - @ MTU Union Building for "Food Mall" choices

        1.          9:00-11:15 - Seaman Mineral Museum on MTU Campus.  1400 Townsend Dr, Guide- Dr. Robinson

        M        11:30-12:45 - Lunch @ Jim's Pizza, 108 W Quincy St. Hancock ph 482-9293

        p Caravan up to Calumet

        2.          1:00 - 1:45 -  Copper World 101 5th St. Calumet  ph 906-337-4016

        3.          2:00 – 3:15 – Coppertown USA Mining Museum and gift shop, 25815 Red Jacket Rd. Calumet.

        p Drive back to S. Houghton

        M        4:00 – 5:30 – Supper Applebee's near Wal-Mart

        4.          6:30 – 10 pm –Ancient Copper Programs @ Houghton High School, 1603 Grundlach Rd

                     Speakers: David Hoffman – Ancient Waterways and How Copper May Have Traveled

                                       Lee & Joy Pennington film "Let Me Not Drown On These Waters" about

                                            Fred Rydholm with a focus on copper

                                       Monette Bebow Reinhardt of Oconto Copper Culture Museum-  Copper Culture Peoples

        Saturday, July 11th

                  7:15 am - MEET IN PARKING LOT OF SUPER 8 Motel

        M        7:30-8:45 – Breakfast as group, Hillside Restaurant, 920 Calverley Ave Houghton  (SW of town)

        p Caravan down to Greenland (this is complex…STAY WITH the GROUP!)

        5.          9:00 – 11:30 – Caledonia Mine: Old mining site near Mass City, Guided tour.  Ancient copper pits will be found here.* Self guided directions: S on Hwy 26, 35 miles of Houghton. Turn left on     Ridge Rd (First St.) in Greenland, which is 2.6 miles S of the US 38 junction. Drive one mile, go straight on Caledonia Road. The mine is 1.7 miles further on a very hilly, gravel road.

        6.          Noon: Petroglyphs @ Robert Wheeler's, 21304 E Lahti Rd. SE area of Houghton

        M        1:00 – 2:00 Lunch @ Applebee's near Wal-Mart (Mall) SW of Houghton

        7.          2:30 – 4:30 – Quincy Mine Tour and mineral gift shop, 49750 US Hwy 41, Hancock.

                            Ph 906-482-3101 PLEASE NOTE: There is a special group rate fee of $12.50 ea. (reg.$15)

        8.          5:00 – 6:45 - Prospector's Paradise, 59691 Hwy 41, Allouez. Ph 906-337-6889

                     You may enjoy a drive over to Lake Linden, site of old (historical) copper mines.

        M        7:00 Dinner on your own in Calumet, Lake Linden, Hancock or Houghton.

        p THEN Back to accommodations. Get to sleep early!

        Sunday, July 12th

                     7:15 am - MEET IN PARKING LOT OF SUPER 8 Motel

        p Caravan up toward Copper Harbor

        M   7:45- 8:45 - Breakfast @ Slim's Café, 8 Mohawk St. Mohawk

        9.          9:00- 11:00 - Delaware Mine, self-guided tour, 7804 Delaware Mine Road. Ok to take samples

        10.       11:30 – 12:45 – Astor House Museum, Minnetonka Resort, 562 Gratiot St. Copper Harbor

        M        1:00 – 2:15 – Lunch at the Mariner, on main drive downtown Copper Harbor.

        11.       2:30 – 3:30 – Petroglyphs, east of Copper Harbor, a little way off Mandan Road

        12.       See other shops, if you like, around Copper Harbor, then -

        p  Head back to Houghton and other destinations.