Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Fw: Re: Mace

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2009
      Another interesting thing about mace is that it is also shaped like the human sternum.

      http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/biology/humananatomy/skeletal/sternum/sternum.html

      From: Vincent Barrows <v_barrows@...>
      Subject: Re: Mace
      To: "Deb Twigg" <deb_twigg@...>
      Date: Friday, June 12, 2009, 5:17 PM

      Deb Twigg;
      Thanks for sending the mace photo. It appears to be a very complete and beautiful "mace".
      Another term for these is "scepter", which infers royal baton or emblem of authority.

      Just a guess on the material is that it appears to be made from "Normanskill" chert. The source of Normanskill chert appears to be local to New York. Size of this object is correct for the for the type.

      Some scepters were depicted on the rock art in Missouri.
      http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/RockArt.html

      I suggest that these objects were derived from sky-viewing ancestors in the constellation called "Bootes".

      I am not qualified to be an "authenticator" so I will not comment on that.
      Vince Barrows