Re: Fwd: incised bone; Vero Man, Vero Beach, Florida

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2009

      Vince, Ted, All,

      Very interesting find.  Here's more background from 1915 findings by Vero Beach resident  Frank Ayers ("Vero Man") re: the major archaeological finding in 1915 that got swept under the rug.  Vero Beach is along the central-western coast of Florida where the bone was found. From: http://www.reefoceanresort.com/localinfo.asp

      Vero Man'

      Vero Beach was the site of a major archaeological discovery by local resident Frank Ayers in 1915. Known as the 'Vero Man', the find created an international controversy for it provided the first evidence that human beings had inhabited the 'new world' prior to the end of the Wisconsin glaciation (c.10,000 BCE).

      Over the next thirty years, the remains were shuffled back and forth between the
      Smithsonian Institution and the Florida State Museum of History in Tallahassee. Experts could never reach an agreement and the remains were eventually lost just prior to the invention of Carbon-14 dating in 1947.
      Interest in Vero Man gradually waned, though more recently there was some renewed interest in finding the remains.
      Vero Beach Magazine "How Vero Man was lost - and found again" September/October 1998.