Copper Snake & Fabulous Shapes with Spirit Power!

  • herbswoods
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2009
      Native copper as it comes out of the bedrock (and float copper too but to a lesser extent), often assumes fantastic and unusual shapes.

      I have a piece that I call the "copper witch" because it really does look like a witch with a big wart on her nose. Freaky looking. I had another (gave it away) that looked like a wolf with its mouth open and with lots of sharp teeth! Another I have looks like a Mayan indian. Still another is long and shaped somewhat like a serpent. Years ago I gave another one away that looked like a little buffalo!

      What I'm getting at here is that one of the appeals of nuggets of native copper to ancient peoples must have been the fantastic shapes they sometimes assumed without human modification. They must have been seen as a portal to the supernatural realm. Ancient nature worshippers looked for "gods in all things" and the unique red metal was already powerful, but even more so when one could "see" a deity, beast, or monster in its form. Lots of spirit power there. Years ago I wrote a story called "The Copper Windigo" that explored this sort of magic.