Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: Fwd: [friendsofthemounds] RELICS OF PREHISTORIC TIMES. (Hopewell farm 1891)

    Message 1 of 5 , May 21 9:50 AM
      The 1891 site is in Ohio and shows a further reach of the copper culture in trading.  I am listening to the show now, and they are talking about the trade of objects from the gulf of Mexico.

      A site I was invited to by Fred Finney,a former Iowa State Archeologist, that was off the Mississippi River a few miles contained copper from the great lakes.  It was a trading site and had a walled log surround around a house site.   The artifacts from the site are from the Rockies to the copper areas of Lake Superior, to the gulf coast.  This was a pre-western contact site from carbon dating and artifact content.

      The site contained parts of a large pottery jug that came from clay originating at Cahokia in Southern Illinois.  There were Obsidian points from the Yellowstone area, and gulf shells, as well as copper beads.  The site was on a terrace between some naturally shaped mounds created by glacial runoff along the Upper Iowa River valley.   The Oconto radio show that Vince Barrows message is about, talks about becoming a major copper culture museum.   A new highway exit will make easy access when it is done for that museum (Worth listening to, but much to short a show to cover the topic.)   In previous posts the artifact that is shown in the copper museum in the UP of a lightning bolt shape was found a few miles away at Effigy Mounds National Monument.  It is on display there in that museum run my the National Parks Department

      The museum is under new directors and it  seems like a place to start an effort for the Ancient Waterway People to focus some energy on a collaborative exhibit with the Ancient Artifacts people and those interested in a float Copper exhibit.

      Jeff Bennett is working on locating copper ingots in the great lakes area using underwater research tools.   Copper can be shown to be great lakes copper that is different from Meso American metals or Eastern American metals.  It has a signature like a fingerprint.

      Ted