Re: Burlington, Voree, Old Haunts, w/Frank Joseph & Peter Moon

  • herbswoods
    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2009
      I'd like to attend this event. I know the Burlington area very well and researched Old Voree and Strang's 1840s Mormon colony there years ago. Stood in the very room where Strang died. I've also been reading Frank Joseph's 2 books on Wisconsin and he does present some striking notions. His work on Rock Lake, it's water monster, and possible underwater structures overlap with my own researches in northern Wisconsin on ancient copper mines, water serpents, and my 2007 discovery of an underwater "road" or "structure" which I took photos of.

      Back to Burlington and Old Voree. The Mormons still own land there including the "Hill of Promise" right above White River. Unfortunately, the last time I was there someone had run a hideous high-tech barbed wire fence thru it and were pasturing cattle in those woods which had degraded the place terribly. Before the fence it was very wild, natural, and beautiful up there on the Hill of Promise. The stone quarries are also interesting. I swam across White River and searched for the Mormon Temple site but found nothing but loose blocks of limestone where it should have been. Only a start on it was made in the 1840s and local farmers most likely took the stone after Strang left for Beaver Island. Same is true of the Tower on the Hill of Promise. No trace of that either that I could find.

      I know several excellent "haunted" spots in the Burlington area based on my own travels and seekings there in the 1970s when I fancied myself a searching young poet and mystic riding my motorcycle on moonlit nights. For some reason that area is highly charged with a power or feeling that I can't put into words. NW of Milwaukee is another such power spot. Those were good interesting rambles never to be forgotten.