Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: BURROWS CAVE - ARTIFACT

  • TRAYLOROO
    Message 1 of 3 , May 17, 2009

      RE ATTACHMENT FAILURE

      To All:

      Am I to understand that the  Burrows Cave artifact photo attachment -- was that the first attachment to this group?  Obviously there were several recipients that could not open the attachment. I wonder why?

      Three people contacted me direct at TRRAYLOROO@... and asked for a copy emailed direct, me to them; which apparently opened OK.  This suggests to me that Yahoo is stripping some of the message formating as it passes through their blog.

      There also is a problem with the messages I receive, I can not copy part of the text to archive it.  Also, I can not answer an email by posting my answers directly on the received message; I have to start a fresh text area above the received message.  Also, I am concerned that your messages worthy of preservation are lost, or will be lost; can not be retrieved from the archives. Maybe it is operator problems at this end?

      Your comments and suggestions on this please.  Email the group or to me direct at TRAYLOROO@...

      Cheers. Keep warm.

      Cal Traylor  575 522-4552 ...
      That phone rings in the USA, not Mexico.

       Reminder from that famous historian Cal:
      "All historical facts are subject to change hourly."

      From: Susan <beldingenglish@...>
      Subject: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: BURROWS CAVE - ARTIFACT
      To: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, May 17, 2009, 7:53 AM

      So beautifully said and from the heart, Martin. If I ever use it for reference, I shall include the entire post lest I lessen its deeper meaning.   What you are saying  in your posts here,  I believe is what I am in this 'work' for.  Martin,  thank you so much.
      Cal, a belated Happy 90th Birthday; you are one of the most active, busiest persons I have known at any age.  It is good your friends were able to pull off a surprise, especially if you are at  an age where few things surprise you any more.
      As with Judi and Zena, I too would like to see the Burrows Cave photo; can you list it under Photos at our site with a description?  Maybe Vince can put it up. I think Jim Scherz told me Zena did considerable work with Burrows Cave symbology, worked with Cyclone Covey.  It is a privilege having her as a member here, too.  I wish you all had active profiles so you knew each other better.
      Take a look at Burrows Cave stones used as a logo at the top of the AAPS Home Page. One is a map of the Great Lakes, owned by Dr. John White from Midwestern Epigraphic Society.  AAPS were selling postcards with the logo:
      Here is AAPS's Museum Gallery link:  http://aaapf. org/photo_ gallery.asp
      And you may like this map of the Mississippi River from MES, John White, Beverly Mosely that Terry Deveau and others posted about awhile back, and I'd sent inquiry to John White who had not had recent contact with the authors of the article, the Kreisles, who he said were at least in their 80's.
      Cal, I believe you organized a meeting around a talk by Russell Burrows years ago? I received both emails and cell phone calls from with him for some time when doing post Katrina disaster relief, rebuilding in New Orleans.  The correspondence  continued for a while afterward.  Scherz and he keep in contact,  have unpublished material for at least a second Burrows Cave Art book.  I'd once told Russell I'd set up a camp site in some pristine wilderness area under the stars between here and S. Illinois, feed them venison stew, sausage, home cooking so he and Jim could get this intended book started before either gets any older.  I don't know if I would want to be around any of my friends should they ever get into the cave and things would start coming to light.  I am afraid the gold standard and religious connotations of many of the artifacts might run rampant and put  folks' deeper, more benevolent inner truths on hold.
      Russell said if he had known what he knows now when he supposedly fell into a hole that led to discovery of the Cave, he'd  have closed it up, walked away and never gone back.
      I doubt any of us who have been conditioned to value the artifacts and root religious symbols the Embarrass River Cave supposedly  represents are capable yet of walking away from such possibly priceless objects.  Nor the status and fame its revelations could bring.     Susan
       Hey Cal and others,