Re: beaker culture

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
      Vince and all,

      I have little information to be of any help re: your inquiry, but
      fortunately found what appears to be a marvelous site which I believe
      has much in the very specific areas you mention in your Post.

      The Moundbuilders of Burlington, WI site has a 2004 copyright
      by a Mary Sutherland w/photo of her at Rock Lake, WI on the Rock
      River (near the Aztalan Mounds where many of my research friends and
      I spent a great deal of time). I see on the web site Mary is on-line.
      I tried to "click" into her life and invite her to take a peek at our
      Ancient Waterways Society web page and perhaps correspond with you
      and us) at our small and friendly web site. But rec'd a notice the
      site was busy.

      Check out the site:
      http://www.burlingtonnews.net/centerindians2.html

      Here is an exerpt which I find links to your inquiry, but please
      click into the entire article as because the author has much more to
      say about the Berbers, etc.:

      MOUND BUILDERS OF BURLINGTON WI
      copyright 2004 Mary Sutherland

      "....The Old Copper Berbers mined copper and their population
      multiplied for almost 1000 years before a major revolution took place.

      The Canaanite-Berber cultures of Western Europe were savagely
      disrupted by the invading Israelites . Refugees--first a trickle,
      then a flood--began to flee from the ceaseless predations of this
      migrating people from the East. Thousands boarded their boats and set
      sail for the New World; and a massive surge of Berber immigration to
      North America from North Africa and the Iberian Peninsula was
      underway -- as proven by a myriad of cultural innovations from the
      Beaker Group culture which burst upon the North American scene.
      Professor Barry Fell dates a MAJOR WAVE of "Iberian" (i.e. Canaanite-
      Berber) colonists to the New World to this period (America B.C.,
      frontpiece)...."
      +++++++++++
      Let me know if you cannot get into the site and/or would like M.
      Sutherland's email address. Reading about her mound
      preservationist efforts, Vince, she will undoubtedly appreciate your
      efforts at Cahokia discussed in an earlier post to the Ancient
      Waterways and PreColumbian Inscriptions web page.

      Perhaps Ms. Sutherland is a member of the Ancient Earthworks Society
      group in Madison; I shall forward her site to that group's president,
      Tom Solberg, mentioned earlier in posts by MinnesotaStan and by
      myself.

      Susan
      ______________
      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Vince"
      <v_barrows@...> wrote:

      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaker_culture
      >
      > I have a theory that the beaker culture spread to the great lakes
      area
      > including cahokia mounds based on the beaker found at woodhenge,
      and
      > many many other similar pottery styles from Poverty Point and
      Cahokia

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
        http://www.saskarchsoc.ca/Andronowich2.html
        http://www.saskarchsoc.ca/Andronowich.html
        The above links show a very interesting set of incised stones from saskatchewan.

        Worth Checking out!
        Vince

        ____________ __
        <v_barrows@. ..> wrote:

        > http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Beaker_culture
        >
        > I have a theory that the beaker culture spread to the great lakes
        area
        > including cahokia mounds based on the beaker found at woodhenge,
        and
        > many many other similar pottery styles from Poverty Point and
        Cahokia
        > Mounds. Additionally, tablets from cahokia mounds bear a marked
        > resemblance to the iberian peninsula tablets on ESPIRIT.
        >
        > Any comments?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Vince

        Get your own web address.

      • Susan English
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
          Vince,
          Unable to get a web site with either link below.
          MSE

          <v_barrows@. ..> wrote:

          > http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Beaker_culture
          >
          > I have a theory that the beaker culture spread to the great lakes
          area
          > including cahokia mounds based on the beaker found at woodhenge,
          and
          > many many other similar pottery styles from Poverty Point and
          Cahokia
          > Mounds. Additionally, tablets from cahokia mounds bear a marked
          > resemblance to the iberian peninsula tablets on ESPIRIT.
          >
          > Any comments?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Vince

          M. Susan English
           ANCIENT WATERWAYS SOCIETY

          Never Miss an Email

        • minnesotastan
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2007
            Vince,
            Unable to get a web site with either link below.
            MSE

            The links are valid as shown, and launch fine for me, though they are
            slow to open. Probably a reflection of a slow (or busy) server at
            the website.

            Here's what impressed me -

            "...Despite poor visibility, and the difficulty of maneuvering over
            three foot high swaths, seven flakes, a small core fragment and a
            small biface were observed. This debris was thinly spread over an area
            of 450m x 120m..."

            "Thinly" doesn't begin to describe the distribution - one flake per
            football field! A very industrious (but perhaps not very efficient)
            archaeologist at work there.....

            Stan

            p.s. - is this somehow related to "beaker culture" or has the thread
            gotten off-topic?