Re: [ancient_waterways_society] [ancient_waterways] Re: Roman Coins Found... Etc ...Many Places

    Message 1 of 6 , May 10, 2009

      http://www.archive.org/stream/recollectionsofs00wallrich/recollectionsofs00wallrich_djvu.txt
      Additional Note:
      Some were not able to open the link in my  email.  the link above provides access.   The style of prose is of the time, but is pretty clear as to what happened at this event that was overshadowed by the events of the civil war occurring at that time.
      ted
      On May 10, 2009, at 9:25 AM, TRAYLOROO wrote:

      To the Enlightened .. and Un-enlightened:

      The hard evidence and literature about pre Columbian tourists to the Americas is voluminous.  Roman coins and other evidence of Roman visitors is more than a one-time chance find, there have been finds in America.  But, Roman coins were used in the Empire .... and were something like the American dollar today ... used by many nationals.  Said "nationals" were the tourist and explorer of their day.  Persons competent in ancient languages can determine from their glyphs the nationality and approximate time that style of writing was current.

      As for the Michigan Copper Plates, there is a good collection in the LDS Museum basement, Salt Lake, Utah.  Their collection include other evidence of pre Colombian visitors from the Old World.  There have been estimates of the tons of copper mined in Michigan ... and shipped to Europe ... pre Columbian.

      Even the Kensington Stone has become a valued artifact. Try it in your search window.

      Not to be accused of being narrow, we also should recognize the visitors from China c1200 to 1500. This is by ship, not boat.  A ship is described as suitable for open ocean, and a boat is suitable for rivers and coastal use. We are aware they arrived in the Americas by walking, boat, and ship ...

      As for the literature and artifacts about this subject, there is such a volume that we recently have been discussing the pressing need for a specialized library and repository.

      Cal Traylor

      ============ ========= ========= ========= ====
      From: Ted Sojka <tedsojka@mchsi. com>
      Subject: Re: [ancient_waterways_ society] Re: Roman Coins Found...
      To: ancient_waterways_ society@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Saturday, May 9, 2009, 8:19 PM

      I have noticed that the copper ingots called hides that were found in a mound here in this country and illustrated in Barry Fell's book, look exactly like the ones Jeff Bennett of this group,  photographed from an ancient shipwreck in the Mediterranean.  The cargo was recently shown at the Metropolitan in New York and Jeff ventured there to take the photos.

      I don't argue with people who disagree as it gets nowhere.   Listening is the skill for the third part of life, and applying your energies and interests to the fullest, as stated by Sarah Lawrence Lightfoot, of Harvard.   If you missed her talk on Bill Moyer's show this week you missed a good thing, and try to see it online.

      At that age myself.

      My Norwegian neighbors in this Viking town will argue for Long Boats passing those Phonecian ships in the night on the Great Lakes.

      Ted
      PS
      Glad for the discussion.   I quit the field of professional archeology early on as my own beliefs and intuition got in the way too often.

      On May 9, 2009, at 4:15 PM, minnesotastan wrote:

      Nice post, Lee.

      My personal opinion re the Roman coins is that they were intentionally buried at some time in prehistory, whether by a European visitor or a Native American who received them as trade goods I can only wonder.

      The knee-jerk dismissal of early diffusion of people/goods is an easy way for people to simplify their thought processes, so I don't waste much time arguing with those who prefer to think that way. I blogged it to stimulate thought among those who have never considered such things; the replies by naysayers are to be expected.

      Personally it's much more fun to fall asleep at night dreaming of Phoenecians traversing the St Lawrence Seaway...