Re: Coincidence and evidence

  • ancientwaterpathways
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2009
      Concerning the Roman Coins--what we need to do is simply look at the evidence, this evidence or any evidence, objectively and consider ALL the possibilities. If you close the door on all evidence regardless, you NEVER get beyond the standard paradigm whether that paradigm is accurate or not. Paradigms do change over the years. It hasn't been that long ago that some teacher/archaeologists were telling their students, "If you find something more than 4,000 years old, bury it back." The lead archaeologist in America at the time had stated, "No humans were in North America before 4,000 years ago." That idea has changed; yet, it didn't change till Clovis ripped it away and then Clovis itself stood as a barrier until very recently.

      Well, yes, flatboats may have been crashing along rivers and Roman coin collectors were loosing their collections. I'm not sure just how many Roman coin collectors there were back along the frontier, but I'd guess not too many. And the ones there certainly were very careless and very narrow in their time scheme of collecting (has anyone reported a Roman coin find that has coins dated after 300 AD?). It would appear more reasonable to consider that someone, somewhere had contact with Romans (which means the whole Roman Empire and not just Rome) or contact with traders with the Roman Empire and wound up with these hoards of coins through purchase, trade or gift. Perhaps the Native people are the ones who buried or left the coins where they have been found. That's the hypothesis for the Norse coin found in Maine--that it was a trade item or gift from the Greenlanders and worked its way to Maine through trade of the Native Americans.

      When Captain Cook sailed up the west coast, a Native American tribe presented him with a silver spoon that had arrived on the east coast with the early colonies. Through trade, I assume, the spoon had worked its way across the continent in less than 200 years.

      As the late Fred Rydholm often said, "Let's just put all the evidence on the table--the accepted evidence, the so-called faked evidence, the hoaxes and such, everything, all of it. What's not supposed to be there, will eventually fall off the table."

      If every archaeologist on each new dig or study only tried to prove what something was not, rather than what it might be, there would be very little progress made.

      On our history...There are things hidden and covered that more than break the heart. If we don't confront and remember the history, we are, indeed, condemned to repeat it. Repeating it surely must be as difficult as remembering.

      Lee