The Trickster

  • Rick Osmon
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7 11:32 AM

      Investigating pre-Columbian contact, lost races, ancient astronomy, navigation, and migration, cultural oddities, associated diffusion evidence and the truly unexplainable. Oh, and the odd musician, band, or comedian may stop by. Some are really odd…

       Hello Loopers, Yoopers, and Scoopers

      In this issue:

      This Week's Show:  The Trickster

      Op/Ed:  Enjoying your "stimulus" tax rebate?

      Letters to the Editor: How Stonehenge was built!

      This Day in HistoryMay 7

      Possum Holler News Tall clover

      Other news:  Famed Nefertiti bust 'a fake': expert (though the pigments used to paint are real, he says)

      File:Nefertiti 30-01-2006.jpg
      Size of this preview: 398 × 599 pixels(right click "view image" for better look)
      http://en.wikipedia.org/skins-1.5/common/images/magnify-clip.png
      The iconic bust of Nefertiti, discovered by Ludwig Borchardt, is part of the Ägyptisches Museum Berlin collection, currently on display in the Altes Museum.

      Events: Send your organization's events to  oz@...

      Last week's show:  OLC Updates

      Site of the week   10 voyages that changed the world

      This Week's Show:   The Trickster

      A common and recurring figure in native lore is the "trickster". Is this figure merely an allegorical figure unique to Native Americans used to teach wisdom,  or is it based on some common lore with other, farflung ancient cultures? Loki of Norse legend, Lucifer of the Bible, and myriad other legendary characters are portrayed with the same traits and even with having performed the same tricks on unwitting victims. We'll explore how the "trickster" may have common origins among many cultures.

      Please join us for a rousing discussion

      Thursday at 9 Eastern

      Op/Ed:    Enjoying your "stimulus" tax rebate?

      You probably won't enjoy it much next April.

      (from http://personal-tax-planning.suite101.com/article.cfm/2009_stimulus_checks_tax_rebates)

      Until the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act passed in February 2009, many American were wondering, "Will there be another government stimulus check?" The final stimulus package reveals that only certain Americans will receive one-time payments of $250, but most Americans will not get another economic stimulus payment. The only chance most Americans have at seeing a tax rebate in 2009 is through the Recovery Rebate Tax Credit explained below.

      Who Gets 2009 Stimulus Checks?

      One-Time Payments for Retirees, Disabled Veterans, Supplemental Security Income Recipients

      The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provides for a one-time payment of $250 to disabled individuals, retirees, and those who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) from the Social Security Administration. Railroad retirement beneficiaries and disabled veterans who receive benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will also get a check. According to the IRS, individuals will receive these payments from their respective agencies and not the IRS.

      What is the Recovery Rebate Credit? Not a Second Stimulus Check

      Other than the people mentioned above, no one else will get a tax rebate unless it's a Recovery Rebate Tax Credit. The recovery rebate is not another stimulus payment in addition to the 2008 tax rebate; it is simply a chance for anyone who did not receive an economic stimulus payment in 2008 due to certain circumstances to get a second chance at the same rebate check. The IRS has noted, however, that most taxpayers will not qualify for this second-chance stimulus check.

      This economic strategy only makes sense from the viewpoint of a bloated bureaucracy. From the viewpoint of a taxpayer, it makes a lot more sense to tax based on expenditures and downsizing the bureaucracy.  www.fairtax.org

      This section is for you, the audience. You are welcome to contribute to it. Submit your "stuff" to

       oz@...

      Letters to the Editor

      This is fascinating! Now we know how Stonehenge was built!

      Ida Jane

      Engineers and non-engineers alike may find this intriguing

       An interesting video . . .

      Unbelievable!

      Better than the book and computer engineers—here is hands on ingenuity.

      Thought this would be of interest to you -

      STONEHENGE SOLVED?

      Very interesting & he is from Flint, Michigan

      For hundreds, maybe thousands of years, people have been trying to figure
      out how primitive people could build huge structures such as Stonehenge and
      the pyramids out of stone blocks weighing thousands of pounds. Scientists
      have been stumped.

      Then along comes a normal guy - a retired construction worker - and he says
      well, I would do it like this. And he does. This guy uses the simplest tools
      known to man and shows how simple and easy it would have been to create
      Stonehenge. This is a really great video clip. Amazing how this guy could
      figure out something that has confounded scholars for centuries. And not
      only figures it out, but demonstrates it!

      CLICK or type the following:

      http://j-walkblog.com/index.php?/Weblog/posts/moving_big_rocks

      Today in History, May 7

      558 – In Constantinople, the dome of the Hagia Sophia collapses. Justinian I immediately orders the dome rebuilt. 1274 – In France, the Second Council of Lyons opens to regulate the election of the Pope. 1429 – Joan of Arc ends the Siege of Orléans, pulling an arrow from her own shoulder and returning, wounded, to lead the final charge. The victory marks a turning point in the Hundred Years' War. 1664 – Louis XIV of France inaugurates The Palace of Versailles. 1697 – Stockholm's royal castle (dating back to medieval times) is destroyed by fire (in the 18th century, it is replaced by the current Royal Palace). 1718 – The city of New Orleans is founded by Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville. 1763 – Indian Wars: Pontiac's Rebellion begins – Chief Pontiac begins the "Conspiracy of Pontiac" by attacking British forces at Fort Detroit.

      Possum Holler News

      The clover is doing well. In fact, it's fairing better than the mower. I broke a blade trying to get through the heavy stuff...if we still raised cattle, they would be getting fat.

      We're having a Mommy's Day get together for Pat this weekend. Even though it's Mommy's Day, she will still be trying to do everything for everybody else instead of just enjoying the moment. It's her nature.

      Fish are biting, or so they tell me. I haven't had time to wet a line. However, I took time out Monday to help a friend site in his rifle scope. It went well except for one round when I forgot that you don't get too close to the scope when it's mounted to a .30-06. I have a nice mark on my forehead... to go with my slightly sore shoulder. I also shot a very, very tight group. Now if only they allowed the use of .30-06 for hunting deer in Indiana.

      The world's ancient heritage is coming to your desktop in 3-D

      Events: Send your organization's events to  oz@...

      /|\

      Ancient Kentucke Historical Association

      Newsletter

      May 24, 2:30 PM                                           Marilyn Michael's home

                AKHA Meeting

      Kathy Getsinger will present: "The Double-Ditch Program"

                  The Mandan and Hidatsa people settled in numerous villages along the banks of the Missouri and other rivers, gradually coalescing into a smaller number of village sites over time.  Double Ditch was a major village, thought to have been occupied by its people for three centuries.  It is located near Bismarck, North Dakota.

                  Lewis and Clark spotted Double Ditch Village as they passed up the Missouri River in the fall of 1804 looking to over winter with the Mandans before proceeding on to the West.  Thomas Jefferson had told the explorers to watch for this unique group of Indians, some with light skin, blue eyes, and blonde hair.  It was thought they were to have had some kind of contact with the Welsh people who had penetrated the interior of the country in early times.  As they passed up the Missouri Lewis and Clark spotted a huge village, known today as Double Ditch, and they noted it had been vacated fairly recently (due to the 1781-1782 smallpox epidemic).

                  During several brief summer field sessions this decade, archaeologists have worked at Double Ditch, examining several areas of the once massive village.  This AKHA program on Double Ditch will provide both some prehistoric context for the settlement of the People who later became known as the Mandan and well as discussion of some of the features that have come to light through these archaeology surveys.  It has been said Double Ditch Village is significant enough to have the potential to become a World Class Heritage site.

      May 30, 2:00 PM                                                        Falls of the Ohio

      Ancient History Film Series: Tibet

                  Isolated within the towering sanctuary of the Himalayas, Tibet developed a culture unique in the history of world civilization.  Steeped in the mystical ideals of Buddhism, the Tibetans centered their lives on selfless altruism and the perception of the world as an endless repeating cycle of life, death and rebirth.  This film takes you on a journey to the roof of the world as this real-life Shangri-la collides head-on with the ruthless realities of the modern age. Here you encounter a civilization that today is not yet lost, but balanced on the verge of collapse, facing what may literally be "The End of Time."

                  Traversing the highest mountain passes on Earth, you enter a kingdom so remote it was virtually unknown to outsiders until recent times.  You'll experience an enigmatic way of life that challenges the very concept of western civilization.  You'll discover how, as the world's last surviving theocracy, Tibetans voluntarily abandoned their warlike past to worship their ruler, the Dalai Lama, as the living manifestation of god on Earth.  And you'll witness the outside world's impact on a people totally devoted to the quest for peaceful coexistence, inner knowledge and the ultimate spiritual bliss of nirvana.  Above all, you'll see how the great arch of civilization's rise and fall is more than an artifact of history's distant past, but a living process that continues today in this ethereal, otherworldly mountain domain.

      AA                ANCIENT  COPPER CONFERENCE, July 10-12, Houghton, MI. www.aaapf.org.

      AAPS (Ancient Artifact Preservation Society), 5th Annual Conference on Ancient America Sept. 24-27, Holiday Inn, Marquette, Michigan.  www.ancientartifactpreservationsociety.com

      .

      Last week's show:    OLC Updates

       Site of the week:  10 voyages that changed the world

      From ancient Phoenician galleys to 21st century super yachts, a lot has changed about the way people travel the high seas over the centuries.

      Oopa Loopa Cafe merchandise Tell the world you're a Looper!!