INFIDELS ARE COMING -- WITH DNA

  • TRAYLOROO
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2009

       Close the gates.  The infidels are coming ...

       ===========================

      LEGEND:
      : ASNM = Archaeological Society of New Mexico
      (I am a life member and past president of a New Mexico county society.)
      : BECKETT is a publisher of many archaeological journals and books. He has his own library and a huge book store and after many years of that ... he recently retired. A great fellow, but not truly enlightened .. yet ...

      As grandpa said:  "The mind is like a parachute.  No good unless it is open ...."

      As Cal said: "All historic facts are subject to change hourly."

              Cal

      Any rebuttals to the below argument?

      cc: Beckett

      From: Patrick Beckett <pat@...>
      Subject: Fw: [ASNM-L] New research; Native Americans descended from one common founding population
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2009
        Drive by science...

        This study was so focused on the single allele that they ignore data and
        conclusions attained by other researchers in the field ( e.g., Micheal D
        Brown et, al, 1998). They even ignored some of their own data to reach
        their conclusion without admitting that the data was not wholly
        supportive of that conclusion.

        As a guess, I would speculate that the allele in question has something
        to do with nutrition and / or assimilation of some specific mineral
        (selenium is most likely, since it is virtually absent in the Americas)
        and that other populations simply don't need that genetic factor.

        They also ignore that the mDNA studies clearly show at least three
        separate founding groups as evidenced by the Haplogroups among Native
        Americans.

        This work is good as far as the data analysis, other than throwing the
        parts that didn't fit the conclusion, and the sampling size is woefully
        lacking. Most tellingis that they glossed over the fact that some
        samples did not contain the allele in question. If that is the single
        driving data point to such a conclusion, they shouldn't be allowed to
        throw out the contra-indicative evidence and still get through peer
        review.

        But my main problem with this study is the conclusion that the allele
        indicates a single founding population, it is simply ignorant. The
        conclusion should never have made it through peer review. There are far
        too many potential environmental factors that can drive such genetic
        changes and they have completely ignored that.

        Peers wanted this conclusion, regardless of how poorly the work or the
        conclusion stands up to simple logic.

        Just my two cents worth

        Oz

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, TRAYLOROO
        <trayloroo@...> wrote:

        > Close the gates. The infidels are coming ...
        >

        > ===========================
        >
        > LEGEND:
        > : ASNM = Archaeological Society of New Mexico
        > (I am a life member and past president of a New Mexico county
        society.)
        > : BECKETT is a publisher of many archaeological journals and books. He
        has his own library and a huge book store and after many years of that
        ... he recently retired. A great fellow, but not truly enlightened ..
        yet ...

        > As grandpa said: "The mind is like a parachute. No good unless it is
        open ...."

        > As Cal said: "All historic facts are subject to change hourly."
        >
        > Cal
        >

        > Any rebuttals to the below argument?
        >
        > cc: Beckett

        > From: Patrick Beckett pat@...
        > Subject: Fw: [ASNM-L] New research; Native Americans descended from
        one common founding population
        > To: "TRAYLOROO" trayloroo@...
        > Date: Saturday, May 2, 2009, 9:21 AM

        http://esciencenews.com/articles/2009/04/29/native.americans.descended.a\
        .single.ancestral.group.dna.study.confirms