[ancient_waterways_society] Campeche area

  • TRAYLOROO
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 7:41 PM
      Well Gang, I can say to you ....
      Barry Fell would have been proud to read your writings.

      I am going to forward this letter to two non-professional historians in Mexico .... and maybe a couple of professionals any way.  Hopefully they have not been hit by the flu. (We had a six year old die yesterday and for certain it was the bad flu, but as yet it still is local news.)

      The Romans and Egyptians were no doubt better at some of their engineering and organizational skills than their neighbors.  As yet, how did they do that pyramid?  How did they move that obelisk by boat from the Nile to Istanbul, and pop it upright 500 feet above high tide by the Blue Mosque? It is all unreal. In your Internet search for images, OBELISK, ISTANBUL The big one is one stone and about 55 feet tall or more. That postage would be more than $45.*

      In Mexico, those bricks with Roman tally marks as recorded by Barry and friend caused quite a stir.  I believe I saw a video interview of the student and Barry in Barry's house and they were excited about this discovery. Student may have been working an a graduate degree. I had forgotten all about that video until I started writing this note. Inserted in the interview were clips (still and/or motion) from the Mexico brick works.  As I recall, the clay had to be transported a great distance to the construction site. Each brick maker placed a distinctive signature, a mark, in the fresh clay which is there today. Thus, the Tally-man was able to count the production for each person, and no way to steal bricks from your neighbor ....

      * I wonder if that was one of the videos I shipped of to that dude who claimed to have a library open-to-all?  He not only refused to send me a tax-deduct receipt ... he never said thank you .... nor responded to my queries ... Good think I am getting old and can't remember names any longer .... I do remember postage one of those boxes was $45. --  I do remember what grandma used to say:  There is no such thing as too many thank-yous ....

      As for some family historians, Amerinidans included, they are happy with family legends as-is, and do nothing about proving or improving the facts.

      Cal (whats my name?)  TRAYLOROO@...

      cc: Mexico

      =======================================
      From: Ted Sojka <tedsojka@...>
      Subject: Fwd: [ancient_waterways_society]
      To: "Chris Patenaude" <mi_kola@...>
      Cc: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 4:38 PM

      I have native friends who get insulted when the possibility is mentioned of any body form outside the continent having an influence on them.  They think it insulting that we cannot  give them credit for being as intelligent as other races.   I know by DNA evidence that we are all one back when, and do not see any insult myself.  There is pretty good evidence of several migrations in time with several blood types many thousands of years apart.

      Many people and I have read give a large number of tribes that were here at the time of Columbus and many language roots.

      Fired brick made mud a permanent substance.  It has a few tricks that you have to know.

      Did you know that the Romans also had different fillers in their concrete the taller up they built a structure?  Stone in the first level and lighter materials in each course, maybe even something like corn cobs to make lighter concrete on the top level.

      Bricks are easier to build with than stone and they can be covered with stone to make them more permanent in the outer layer.

      Begin forwarded message:

      Barry Fell was completely engrossed with the Comalcalco observations of undeniable epigraphy comparisons between the marks on the Mexican brick and the time-coincidal expansion of the Roman Empire. Until his end, he considered his advances at Comalcalco to be one of the primal examples of his whole research career. So it was with a nod to the ancestors, there in Mexico, that he retained the doggy-marked bricks as a reflection on brickmakers and their drying yards all over the world.