Re: Was Orkney the ceremonial capital of ancient Britain?

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 15, 2007
      Jamey & Ancient Waterways members,
      Here is a later (2005) article by Stephen Stewart, the writer of the
      2003 news clip you sent. This one is a general reference to possible
      very ancient settlers to the Orkney islands.
      MSE

      "World Archaeology News 23 May 2005 Did the Vikings drive natives
      from the isles? STEPHEN STEWART May 17 2005

      VIKING settlers may have "ethnically cleansed" Scotland's islands,
      waging a genocidal campaign against native Pictish tribes as they
      arrived, according to evidence uncovered by archaeologists.

      Excavations on Orkney could finally settle a centuries-old historical
      debate over whether the Norsemen integrated with indigenous locals or
      slaughtered them at the dawn of the last millennium.

      Work at Langskaill farm, in Westray, shows signs of a Pictish culture
      vanish abruptly with the arrival of the Scandinavians, underlining
      the theory that the Northern Isles were taken violently.

      The dig uncovered remains dating from the early Iron Age through to
      the fourteenth century, with the pre-Norse evidence disappearing
      suddenly as the settlers arrived in larger numbers.

      A Viking-Norse longhouse was unearthed, which was built directly over
      an earlier earth house and part of a Pictish house, probably
      indicating a takeover of the site and adjoining lands.

      Olwyn Owen, a senior inspector of ancient monuments with Historic
      Scotland, which was one of the excavation's sponsors, said: "This
      site shows a very clear change of material culture but it doesn't
      show what actually happened to the Picts. That is very difficult to
      prove."

      In recent years, the image of the Vikings has been transformed from
      bloodthirsty pagan savages to that of sophisticated merchants with
      exceptional navigational and engineering skills. The finds on Orkney,
      however, are expected to reopen the entire debate.

      Brian Smith, an archivist at Shetland Islands Council, said the new
      evidence was a further hint of some sort of displacement of the
      native population.

      He said: "(Langskaill) lends a local dimension to the idea that there
      was strife.

      "All that the archaeologists (in favour of the integration theory)
      have to argue is the fact that some Pictish detritus has been found
      in Norse archaeological levels, and that there is a stone in Bressay
      in Shetland that some think contains Norse and Celtic words.

      "In the first case, co-existence is of course not the only
      explanation.

      "In the second, doubt has been expressed by the experts about the
      alleged linguistic material on the Bressay stone, and there is no way
      of getting a precise date for it."

      Ms Owen said archaeology may be unable to provide a complete picture
      of the process of Viking settlement.

      She said: "There is a danger that the argument becomes too simplistic
      with one group arguing the Vikings slaughtered in order to take the
      island over and the other maintaining they started living peacefully.
      It may not be that simple."

      The finds inside the earth house related to the two main periods of
      use. The Iron Age remains comprised mainly of soil deposits, but
      there were also a number of pieces of whale bone and stone tools.

      The later Viking-Norse period deposits included midden, made up of
      shells, fishbones, fragments of soapstone vessels and human
      coprolites or fossilised excrement".

      (From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/4562853.stm)
      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "james m. clark
      jr." <jameyboy@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > industrialised farming and may yet yield its secrets about the
      > recently-surveyed site, which in terms of scale, puts the likes of
      > Stonehenge, Avebury and Skara Brae in the shade.
      > Orkney Archaeological Trust (OAT) used magnetometry, a geophysical
      > technique which measures magnetism in the soil, to trace the
      patterns
      > of activity left by prehistoric Orcadians.
      >
      > Rest at
      >
      > http://ww1.theherald.co.uk/news/3749-print.shtml
      > (not sure link is active after a year or two)
      >

      > I would have said yes 2 (3 or 4)years ago(now).
      >
      > Would this settles the long debate in lingustics
      > over the word 'hundred' that Tacitus referred
      > to in his book on Britain and Germany?
      >
      > Tacitus-On Britain and Germany 1948-1967 by H. Mattingly
      >
      > "In several passages Tacitus speaks of 'the hundred'
      > in idiomatic senses which modern scholars have found
      > hard to understand, but the suggestion that he was
      > misunderstanding the word hundred, meaning district
      > will not do. Neither in Germany nor Anglo-Saxon England
      > was the word so used till centuries later." (p.29 intro)
      >
      > "They dwell in a hundred Country districts and in virtue of
      > their magnitude count themselves chief of all the Suebi." -
      > Tactius;p.133
      >

      > "The green, fertile islands with their mild climate and clever,
      boat-
      > building peoples, with the rich, bounding blood of the Picts and
      > Irish, the Norse and the Danes and Icelanders, to nourish their
      life-
      > stream. Orkney, with its hundred small beaches and harbours: the
      > crossroads where every merchant-ship rested, where every tax-boat
      > and warship and supply vessel ran for shelter in the wild, open
      > seaway between Norway and the Viking cities of Ireland; between
      > Norway and her colonies in the western isles, the ports of Wales and
      > the markets of western England, the wine road to Bordeaux and Loire,
      > the pilgrim road and the fighting road down to Spain and Jerusalem.
      >
      > Everyone had to pass by the islands of Orkney. And only seven little
      > miles separated Orkney from Caithness and the north part of Alba." -
      > king hereAFTER; by Dorthy Dunnett,
      > 1982, p.13.
      >

      > Perhaps if someone like Dorthy Dunnett, a Scottish Medieval
      > historical novelist and mystery writter were noted for religious
      > ideas of the region, logical ocean current flow, we would have known
      > why the word hundred was so elusive for centuries where this
      mythical
      > district was, because Tacitus told us and he did his job 700 years
      > earlier prior to the first millennium.
      > The rest of us would have just passed right on by!! I can only
      wonder
      > if he only heard about this district, but I wouldn't think he would
      > want tell even, besides the Romans would have been crushed from all
      > sides- Maybe he only visited once, besides this district isn't the
      > motherland of Germany or England after all.

    • james m. clark jr.
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5 3:02 AM
        Hi Susan, all
        (sorry for the delay)

        Some interesting notes Susan

        I have thought about maybe reposting it at PI if I can find just a
        little more info for my personal plesure quest; besides if your not
        planning on deleting aws in the next 20 years, here will be just fine,
        besides more will visit; PI isn't exactly needed at the moment. This
        may be nothing at all. But unless Ammianus Marcellinus did in fact
        indulge in hyperbole "Bibliotecis sepulcrorum ritu in perpetuum
        clausis" ("The libraries, like tombs, were closed forever")I may have
        opened a box, no clear picture of a puzzle as of yet, if any, but
        something just may emerge.

        However the Suebi/Sueves are more of a mystery to me among the so
        called "barbarians" prior to the sixth century currently.

        The Kingdom of the Sueves at this much later time were farther to the
        south, including the Galica region of the Iberian Penninsula, and
        nearly 50% of the current region of Portugal just north of Lisbon
        (Visigoths to the south and east)and northeast toward the Castelo
        Branco region with access to the Ocean Sea as well as access to Bay
        Biscay and just perhaps a key region to the Mediterranean along the
        with the inclination to consider the small country Andorra (once one
        of Charlemagne's buffer states and the last of the March states)and
        the indigenous Andorrans. Yet Tacitus, around a century and a half
        prior to Charlemagne's Andorra for the reason to keep the Moors at
        bay.

        Equally interesting, according to the book by Thomas Calill, "HOW THE
        IRISH SAVED CIVILIZATION" it was when the Rhine froze over was Rome's
        final days after centuries of germatic waves that it was finally
        possible to declare that there's no place like home. According to
        Calill, it was the Vandals, Alans, and Sueves whom inflected the final
        blow to the Empire.

        As huge as the Rhine is, it is hard to imaging the surface becoming
        solid. If so it would be interesting to know where. Yet supposedly
        even in the 1800's if I recall correctly even the Baltic Sea is said
        to have froze over; or at least sometime durring the so called LIA
        "Little Ice Age" in which I did research, but for the most part came
        up empty minded at that time. But as far as ancient waterways, Keyser,
        a british isralite speeks of an ancient river that lead to the Baltic
        from the Mediterranean (supposedly the passage way that Scota and the
        Milasian Egyptians took?)

        To be honest, I don't recall who it was even spoken of as to whom it
        was that considered themselves chief of the Suebi(Alied peoples of foe
        enemies which basically could be said from either side).

        "The account in Germania is contradictory to that of the silent
        geographers in at least one major point. Tacitus viewed the Baltic as
        the Suebian Sea and lists the seven tribes above as being in Suebian
        territory. The Suebi were among the Herminones of central Germany. And
        yet Pliny, who is just as creditable, accounts for the Teutones as
        being Inguaeones, the Ingaevones of Tacitus. In Strabo, the Suebi are
        to the south of the coast. The Suebian language went on to become Old
        High German, while the Angles and Jutes were among the speakers of Old
        Saxon.

        An explanation no doubt existed, whether one of the authors
        misunderstood or the distribution of tribes in the 1st century
        resulted from an overlay of different historical schemes. At this time
        there is no verifiable answer to the question and no good reason for
        forcing an answer by excluding evidence. History is by nature often
        contradictory. It is only an incomplete story."

        http://www.bahamasiworld.com/wiki-Angles

        I'll find more about this story when I have more time

        be well,
        jamey

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Susan"

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 17 1:52 AM
          little ice age

          A period of cooler temperatures between 1500 and 1800 c.e.

          http://www2.wwnorton.com/college/geo/egeo2/content/glossary/l.htm

          I wasn't sure of it's acclaimed durration.

          be well,
          jamey

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 17 2:58 AM
            Y'all, I really like Iquick metaseach engine

            The Medieval Age Timeline
            A timeline relating to The Medieval Age ... Alphonso I becomes first
            king of Portugal. Baltic Sea froze. Benedictine Abbey of Cluny is
            founded
            www.timelines.info/history/ages_and_periods/the_medieval_age/
            Highlight - Found by MSN (1), AltaVista/AllTheWeb (5), Yahoo (6)

            Hum, so when did the Baltic Sea freeze solid I wonder.
            Hey Stan, you may need to add an alternative route.:) Keyser has a
            theroy (one I have disproved without a doubt)that according to the
            Red Record the Lena Lenape's recieved their name from the Lena River.
            What is so ironic about this theory is the discription of the so
            called Kenwick Man migration just last year I believe, if I recall
            correctly, seems somewhat like a plageristic move from Keysers theory
            written years ago in a Shaman message board somewhere which reminds me
            I never did confess in Archaeologytheorymethod partly because of that
            but I will now that I remember where it is my theory that the
            Kenwicks migration was a plageristic move by the author of said
            article. I think I did explain what I did and why in one ng but
            besides today I don't think I've posted anthing there since.

            be well,
            jamey

            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2008
              Hi All,

              For those who were somewhat disappointed in the link error on this
              subject, and perhaps didn't look further at the time or since then.
              Here is that link from the journalist who wrote it. But updated
              information on the site in Orkney is still a knowledge quest for me.

              Here is the link: (sorry about that)
              http://www.orkneyjar.com/archaeology/brodgarcapital.htm

              be well,
              jamey

              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2008

                Jamie, All,

                Re: the Orkneys as a ceremonial capital of ancient Britain, I am inserting a Timeline of the Orkney Islands from the article Jamie sent. I also believe one can clearly distinguish between a pre-Viking Orkney society and Viking Orkney kingdom,  and that much of the Neolithic ceremonial construction was established during the pre-Viking period.

                Coincidently, after reading the Orkney Islands site Jamies sent, I found a March 17, 2008 article about a rare piece of Neolithic stone art discovered recently on a beach in Orkney, concentric circles within the object indicate something of significance to researchers. The stone relic "is perhaps from a chambered tomb and could be as old as 5000-6000 years, and would have possibly been used as a ceremonial sacred object" .... part of the Neolithic world linked by the Irish Sea, older than the Egyptian pyramids. See: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1987028/posts

                ________________________

                A Timeline of Orkney History from: http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/timeline.htm

                YearEvent
                3800BC (circa)The Knap of Howar built and occupied on the island of Papa Westray.
                3200BC (circa)Skara Brae occupied. At around about the same time, the Barnhouse Settlement, close to the present site of the Standing Stones o' Stenness ring was in use.
                2900BC (circa)Standing Stones o' Stenness and the Ring o' Brodgar may have been constructed around about this time - give or take a few hundred years.
                2800BC (circa)The chambered tomb Maeshowe constructed
                2700BC (circa)[Pyramids in Egypt]
                2200BC (circa)The village of Skara Brae abandoned

                50ADBroch of Gurness in early stages of development.
                84 (circa)Agricola's supposed visit to Orkney.
                563[Saint Columba in Scotland]
                580Cormac's missionary journey to Orkney.
                787[First recorded appearance of Vikings in England.]
                800 (circa)[First period of Norse colonisation begins.]
                841[Rouen taken by the Norsemen.]
                850 (circa)Harald Fairhair's legendary voyage to Orkney – earldom established.
                853[Norse kingdom established in Dublin.]
                871[Alfred the Great King of England.]
                874 (circa)Sigurd I is earl.
                885[Siege of Paris by the Norsemen.]
                890 (circa)Battle with Maelbrigte of Ross (the villainous "Tusker" of Orcadian folklore) – Earl Sigurd's death resulted (see The Ba' Page for more details).

                Guttorm, Sigurd's son, is earl
                900Battle of Harfursfirth – Second period of Norse colonisation begins.
                [Iceland colonised by Norsemen]
                907 (circa)Hallad, son of Rognvald, Earl of Moeri, earl
                893 (circa)Einar I ("Torf Einar") Rognvaldsson is earl. (Referred to as Torf Einar as he is credited with introducing the tradition of burning peats as fuel to the islands)
                912[Rolf or Rollo, Rognvald's son, Duke of Normandy.]
                946-976 (circa)Arnkell, Erlend I, and Thorfinn I, Einar's sons, rule as joint earls.
                950[King Eric Bloodaxe expelled from Norway.]
                954King Eric Bloodaxe and Earls Arnkell and Erlend fall at battle of Stainsmoor.
                976-991 (circa)Arnfinn, Havard, Ljot, and Hlodvir, Thorfinn's sons, are joint earls.
                980[Discovery of Greenland by the Norsemen.]
                986[Possible Discovery of America (Vinland) by the Norsemen.]
                991 (circa)Sigurd II Hlodvirsson, is earl.
                995Sigurd forced to convert to Christianity by Olaf Trygvesson.
                998[Olaf Trygvesson is King of Norway.]
                1014Battle of Clontarf - Earl Sigurd is killed, carrying the cursed Raven Banner.

                Sumarlid, Einar II, Brusi, and (later) Thorfinn II, Sigurd's sons, joint-earls.
                1030Death of Earl Brusi - Thorfinn II sole earl

                Rognvald, Brusi's son, claims a share of the earldom.
                1045Battle in the Pentland Firth (south of Orkney) between Rognvald and Thorfinn.
                1045Earl Rognvald murdered on the island of Papa Stronsay.
                1056[Malcolm Canmore is King of Scotland.]
                1057Christ's Kirk in the West Mainland parish of Birsay founded. The exact location of the kirk is still hotly debated today, with some believing it stood within the offshore island settlement known the Brough o' Birsay and others that it stood where Birsay village is now found.
                1065Death of Thorfinn; his sons Paul I. and Erlend II are joint-earls
                1066Harald Hardradi visits Orkney.
                [Harold Godwinsson is King of England]
                [Battle of Stamford Bridge]
                [The Norman Conquest - Invasion of Duke William of Normandy - Battle of Hastings]
                1087[Moorish Empire established in Spain]
                1096[First Crusade]
                1098Magnus (Barefoot), King of Norway, sends the Orkney earls to Norway, and makes his son Sigurd "King" of Orkney
                1103[Death of King Magnus of Norway - Sigurd is made King of Norway]
                1105Hakon Paulsson and Magnus Erlendsson are joint-earls.
                1117Murder of Earl Magnus (St Magnus) in Egilsay
                1123Death of Earl Hakon; his sons Harald I and Paul II joint-earls
                1127Death of Harald - Paul sole earl
                1129Rognvald II (Kali) appointed joint-earl by King Sigurd of Norway
                1135Rognvald's first expedition to claim the earldom
                St. Magnus Church, Egilsay, founded
                1136Rognvald's second expedition to acquire Earldom- Earl Paul kidnapped by Sweyn Asleifson
                1137St Magnus Cathedral founded in Kirkwall
                1138Harald II Maddadson joint-earl
                1151Norse Crusaders (Jerusalem-farers) returning from the Holy Land winter in Orkney and break into Maeshowe seeking shelter (see also Maeshowe's Treasure and Maeshowe's Runes)
                1151Earl Rognvald's Crusade to Jerusalem
                1151Erlend III is made joint-earl
                1152-1154The War of the Three Earls - Rognvald, Harald and Erlend fight for possession of the Earldom.
                1154Death of Erlend III - killed off the island of Damsay by Rognvald and Harald.
                1158Earl Rognvald killed. Harald sole Earl.
                1171

                Sweyn Asleifson's last cruise and death at Dublin.
                [English invasion of Ireland]

                1194[Battle of Floravoe in Norway. The defeat of the "island-beardies"]
                1196Shetland separated from the Orkney Earldom
                1197Harald III becomes joint Earl (grandson of Rognvald)
                1198Death of Harald III - killed by Earl Harald Maddadsson.
                1206Death of Harald II Maddadson. His sons David and John become joint earls.
                1214Death of Earl David
                [Alexander II becomes King of Scotland]
                1215[Magna Carta granted in England]
                1222Bishop Adam burned in Caithness.
                1231Death of John; last Earl of the Norse line.
                1236 (circa)Magnus II, the first of the Angus line, becomes Earl.
                Ship carrying the chief men of the Orkney islands is lost on the voyage between Norway and Orkney.
                1239Gilbride (Gilbert) I becomes earl
                1249[Alexander III is king of Scotland]
                1256Magnus III is made earl.
                1263King Hakon of Norway's expedition to his western empire.
                The Battle of Largs
                Haakon dies in Kirkwall.
                1273Magnus IV is earl.
                1284Jon II Magnusson is earl.
                1286[Death of Alexander III of Scotland. Margaret of Norway becomes heiress to the Scottish Crown]
                1292[Death of Margaret - "the Maid of Norway"]
                1306[Robert the Bruce is King of Scotland. Local tradition has it that Bruce passed the winter of 1306-07 in Orkney, not in the island of Rathlin]
                1310Magnus V is earl.
                1312[Treaty of Perth confirmed at Inverness]
                1314[Battle of Bannockburn]
                1321The death of Magnus V marks the end of the Angus line.
                Malise of Stratherne becomes Earl.
                1353Erngisl is made earl
                1357Death of Erngisl; the end of the Stratherne line.
                1379

                Henry I (St. Clair) is made earl.Shetland restored to the Earldom
                [The union of Norway, Sweden and Denmark - the Union of Calmar]

                _________________

                MSE

                Message 7 of 10 , May 14, 2008
                  Thanks Susan,

                  Dates and ages are significant but sometimes the traditions, myths and
                  folklore don't alway coincide with events; especially if there is
                  historical record of one or more of the same disregarding what is
                  suppose to be the historical method of the sometimes acclaimed
                  scientific method.

                  A good factual example would be the field work of archaeologist C.W.
                  Blean, and Miss. Keton on the 3 wars of Troy, opposed to Homers
                  conscrewity of a scientifically generally excepted single battle in
                  which Homer's historically crams, roughly, 500 years in one single
                  day. Whoever said he was blind must be speaking metaphorically of the
                  modern Homermic society or the Edger Casyians.

                  Up until 2 week ago on the history channel, I've read very very little
                  on what is termed the "Little Ice Age" that I have only really head
                  about. And what do I do? I fall asleep. After about 20 years of
                  frustration and searching for anything on it or more about it than I
                  know or wished to know. I almost want to believe it was deliberately
                  delayed based on findings of Iceman and the baffled the scientific
                  community. I believe it was in 98 when students took core samples of
                  the great lakes and it was suggested that an Ice Age itself could in
                  one sense or another happen within 10 yrs. Ten year and 10,000 year is
                  slightly different.

                  <http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/historicalfigures/earlsigurd/index.htm\

                  <http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/historicalfigures/earlsigurd/earlsigur\

                  <http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/historicalfigures/henrysinclair/index.\

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 15, 2010
                    Was Orkney the ceremonial capital of ancient Britain?

                    Read all of this article with a FREE trial?
                    http://www.highbeam.com/reg/reg1.aspx

                    It could be a simular updated version
                    Has anyone noticed this in the past few years?

                    be well,
                    jmcjr