Fwd: [friendsofthemounds] FACTS FOR THE CURIOUS (1881)

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2009

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "Patricia Mason" <pmason@...>
      Date: April 29, 2009 9:27:16 AM CDT
      Subject: [friendsofthemounds] FACTS FOR THE CURIOUS (1881)

      FACTS FOR THE CURIOUS

      [Excerpt - the other facts in the column pertained to different
      subjects...Pat]

      The Mound Builders were a race of people very different in their habits and
      modes of life from the Indians who occupied all the country at the time of
      the advent of the whites. They are now regarded as a distinct and extinct
      race. Of their history very little is known, except what can be gathered
      from the mounds and walls which they built, most of these are made of earth
      or gravel. They are usually found overgrown by living and decaying trees,
      from which we have the proof that they have been abandoned at least 1,000
      years. We have proof also that the Mound Builders worked the copper mines of
      Lake Superior, lead mines near Lexington, Ky., and oil wells in Canada and
      Pennsylvania. The remains of the Mound Builders are spread over a vast
      extent of country. They are found in the sources of the Allegheny, in the
      western parts of the State of New York, and in nearly all of the Western
      States, including Michigan and Iowa. They line the shores of the Gulf of
      Mexico from Texas to Florida, whence they extend through Alabama and Georgia
      into South Carolina. From all the facts known little more can be said than
      this: That the valley of the Mississippi and Atlantic coast were once
      densely populated by a sedentary, agricultural and partially civilized race,
      quite different from the modern Indians, though possibly the progenitors of
      some of the Indian tribes that after many centuries of occupation, they
      disappeared from our country at least 1,000, perhaps thousands, of years
      before the advent of the Europeans.

      Portsmouth Times
      Portsmouth, OH
      April 9, 1881